Metro-North will operate a schedule pared back 18 percent Wednesday because of the snow storm forecast for much of their service region the railroad announced Tuesday afternoon. Monitor MTA.info for changing conditions.
Twenty seven of the usual 154 morning rush hour trains will be combined, allowing Metro-North to hold back extra trains to pick up passengers if necessary.
The schedule can be found here and is available through the Metro-North Train Time application for iPhone and Android, and via text message service CooCoo.
The railroad is also following its protocols meant to preserve service in winter weather:
The railroad’s overhead catenary system that powers trains is vulnerable to breakage from falling trees and tree fragments felled by heavy snow.
All electric trains are being fitted with special rail shoes meant to keep tracks clear of snow and ice.
The railroad will operate patrol trains throughout the night to keep wires clear, and track maintenance personnel will also be kept on hand to remove fallen or compromised trees.
Metro-North will position diesel locomotives at major junctions to intervene if there are any weather related train breakdowns, and station mechanics in Pelham, where New Haven Line trains change from third rail to overhead power and trains sometimes have trouble extending or retracting their pantograph arms in inclement weather.
Metro-North is activating rail heaters to keep all switches clear of snow and ice and fully operable, and hundreds of extra workers will also pre-salt and clear platforms of snow.
Customers should monitor MTA.info Service Status for the most up-to-date information on service, and sign up for real-time service updates via email and text message, at www.mymtaalerts.com.
The following trains will be combined as part of the modified service plan:
On the New Haven Line (Inbound-To Grand Central)
• The 5:31 AM train from New Canaan will terminate at Stamford; New Canaan customers can transfer to the 6:06 AM express to Grand Central Terminal. Customers from Old Greenwich through Rye can take the 5:57 AM local train from Stamford.
• The 6:12 AM train from Stamford is canceled. Customers can use the 6:17 AM local train.
• The 5:45 AM train from Bridgeport is combined with the 5:35 AM train from New Haven which will make all stops of both trains.
• The 6:10 AM train from New Haven to Stamford is canceled, customers can use the 6:18 AM train from New Haven.
• The 7:02 AM train from New Rochelle is combined with the 7:01 AM train from Harrison, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 7:18 AM train from New Rochelle is combined with the 7:17 AM train from Harrison, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 7:31 AM train from Port Chester is combined with the 6:16 AM train from Danbury, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 7:18 AM train from South Norwalk is combined with the 7:03 AM train from Bridgeport, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 7:47 AM train from South Norwalk is combined with the 6:48 AM train from Danbury, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 6:46 AM from New Haven is canceled. Customers may use the 6:52 AM train from New Haven, which will make all local stops from New Haven to South Norwalk, then Stamford, Harlem 125th Street and GCT. Customers traveling to Old Greenwich, Cos Cob and Riverside should transfer at Stamford to the 7:55 AM local train.
• The 8:13 AM train from Harrison is combined with the 7:55AM train from Stamford, which will make the stops of both trains.
• The 8:31 AM train from New Rochelle is canceled. Customers may use the 8:08 AM local train from Stamford
• The 8:53 AM train from Harrison will run between New Rochelle and Grand Central only; Harrison, Mamaroneck and Larchmont customers may take the 8:22 AM train from South Norwalk, which will make extra stops.
• The 8:53 AM train from Stamford is combined with the 9:22 AM train from Harrison. This train will depart Stamford 7 minutes later than normal, at 9:00 AM, making all stops to Grand Central.
• The 9:39 AM train from South Norwalk will run between Stamford and GCT only; customers at South Norwalk, Rowayton, Darien and Noroton Heights may use the 8:49 AM train from New Haven, which will make extra stops.
Delays and additional train combinations may occur, depending upon the severity of the storm and its impact on our service territory.