On Campus

The Hearst CT Local College Sports Blog

Doris: “Nothing imminent” on Fairfield changing conferences

|

Fairfield Athletics Director Gene Doris said Thursday morning while the school is keeping an open mind when it comes to the constant shuffling occurring in college athletics, for the Stags “there’s nothing going on with anybody” at this time. The Stags are currently one of 11 schools in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

The award-winning FU student newspaper, The Mirror, reported this week the school could be looking to conferences jump and the Colonial Athletic Association seems to be its target.

In The Mirror story, Joe Klauder, Fairfield’s associate director of athletics/compliance and recruiting, was quoted as saying: “If we did switch into the CAA, [it would] put a big Fairfield name in Boston, and deep in the heart of Virginia.” AND “It could academically diversify us in regards to the applicant pool,”

Doris said Klauder, who previous worked at a CAA school in Hofstra, did not realize he was being interviewed for a story about conference jumping at the time and believed it was a conversation for a school assignment.

Since started jumping conference to conference – primarily chasing football – Doris has maintained the same mantra when it comes to Fairfield.

“We are always willing to listen and look to better ourselves,” he reiterated Thursday. “But nothing’s imminent.”

Doris said the only school he knew that was on the move right is Davidson, which is reportedly headed to the Atlantic-10.

“Do I know all conferences are looking at people? Yeah, including the MAAC,” said Doris, who latter in the conversation went on to further discuss MAAC expansion. “Things might not change at all. Who knows who the No. 12 school will be or if the MAAC will go to 14 teams.”

The uncertainty figures to linger since the major conference likes the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC-12 might not be done reshuffling. And once one of them makes a move, it will have a trickledown effect on the next tier of conferences like the new Big East, the A-10 and CAA.

“It’s like watching the NFL draft, everyone wants to get the best fit,” Doris added.

The CAA has already taken several large hits with the departures of Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason and Old Dominion. While the conference might have a more appealing financial picture than the MAAC for a school, who knows what schools will even be in the league in a few months.

William Paxton