Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

How did your town do clearing the roads?

Towns across the region have been telling residents to shovel the sidewalks or face fines.  So how did your town do plowing the main roads and the side roads?

Jeff Bustraan

1. Jess says:

I live in Hartford, on Putnam street to be exact. We saw one plow truck driver this entire time and he went halfway down the street, created a huge snow mountain in the middle of the road and reversed his way out. Left the snow mountain and now noone on my street can get out to work in the morning. Who do we call? They get paid a great amount and are doing a halfass job.

2. Steve says:

Bristol has to be the worst plowing I have seen have not seen a plow or herds plow since Friday.where we live if you have a heart attic you can’t get out or get in so you’ll just die I guess .thay keep raising the tax and everything is going to crap.glad I just bought a house in Florida ,thay are driving everyone out of this state

3. Keila Torres Ocasio says:

What streets are you talking about? We’re trying to get a sense of the areas that have been plowed and those that haven’t.

4. marushka says:

Northend of Bpt is bad. Not one plow or a hint of one. Tomorrow is going to have freezing rain, if they do not move it today, we will never get out. Nice job Finchie. I like your putting the blame on the citizens…..resign already.

5. Vanessa says:

Waterbury- Fulton Park neighborhood (all streets) has not seen or heard a plow since Friday night. We have to pay fines if snow is not cleared within 24 hours of it stopping….maybe we shouldn’t pay our city taxes since its 24 hours and many of us are still trapped in our homes and can’t go even to work.

6. Rob says:

Why is it that we continually get huge storms and they continue to purchase equipment for minor plowing? In Canada they get 7 1/2 feet of snow in a week and the roads are drivable the entire time. How come they can do it and we can’t? Their budgets for the entire town for all operations equal our plowing budgets alone and we still get nothing done in a reasonable amount of time.

7. michele says:

i live on noble ave in bridgeport and they havent plowed once. i dont understand that when it stopped snowing 7 hours ago.

8. Lee says:

Bridgeport- Does anyone know if Madison ave west of
    Main street has been plowed?

9. Kathy says:

Stratford doesn’t know what they are doing. Half of my street was plowed. It looked like the plow drove up, turned onto a side street and forgot about the rest of my street. Made a few phone calls and as of this morning – still no plow. It is no wonder schools were closed as they had not been plowed out either. Last snow storm I was told that they could not plow curb to curb due to cars in the road yet that storm and this storm there were no cars on the road.

10. John says:

It seems as though the “tradition” lives on. I lived on Laurel Ave in the’50′s and Bpt had trouble clearing the streets. Fairfield and Stratford always did better. I sure feel sorry for everyone.

11. Lynn says:

It’s a wonder that Stamford even declares a snow emergency, since it never tows cars from those designated routes. NEVER. So, stop with the automated phone calls and save us all some money. Put it towards plowing (and towing!).

12. david says:

danbury in-front of arbys on the bobs side on the hill going down they took out a lane you have the left lane to turn towards arbys now the snow is piled up and you cant even tell that there was a lane there .

13. david says:

Waterbury ct is the far most worst place. They do not plow I just came from there I am there everyday almost and have many friends that live up there they are almost of there 10th snow day. They suck at plowing there still snow on the roads and you spin out really easy You still barely see black top and looks like there has never ever been a plow there. They have no school friday because they have no place to put the snow. YOU HAD ALL DAY TO FIND A PLACE !

14. Kari says:

Stratford’s snow removel system (if there is one) is completely inadequate for being a New England state. Would if be so difficult to have parking on the right side of the streets on even days and left side of the street on odd days? Therefore giving the town the ability to scape some of this mess from the streets and keep the streets from becoming any narrower?

15. Paul C says:

Terrible job of plowing in Norwalk. It stopped snowing at 6 AM and it’s now 9 PM and roads aren’t plowed. The entire winter Norwalk has done a terrible job.

16. Mo says:

It’s now 8:30 p.m. and my street still has not been plowed

17. Susan says:

Saw the plow once this morning in North end of Stratford and it plowed a one lane passage. It has not been back since. wonder if the schools will be open in the am?

18. Brian S. says:

Stratford’s snow removal should be called into question! First major storm 24+ hours before the sight of a plow on my street. Second major Storm was a better. Oh that was 13+ hours. Today we are at 15+ hours AND COUNTING. The Mayor’s voicemail box is full. FRUSTRATED TAX PAYER in Stratford.

19. Rick F says:

It would be great if they would come by with the loader and haul ome of this away. Three days ago the loader went by with a procesion of trucks following, but didn’t remove any snow. It’s just BS politics, nothing else.

20. Rick F says:

Again Bridgeport lives up to our expectations on snow plowing. As usual, they declare a snow emergency, ask for more money from the state. Enforce alternate side of the street parking, but don’t remove the snow. C’mon Bill, do us all a favor and leave! I’m so sorry I voted for you.

21. spy says:

It was 4:30 pm and my street just got plowed….thanks bpt

22. Vin says:

4:15p and the plow is just getting to my street in Lordship…I have had to help several car that got stuck today because it wasn’t plowed…wonder if I will get a reduction on my taxes…thanks Stratford.

23. Chris says:

Stamford crews do a good job keeping up with the road clean-up.
    I just wish the idiots clearing private driveways didn’t pile it up on the streets, right of ways, and properties across the road from their customers.
    I don’t even use a plow and yet I have mountains of snow blocking my mailbox, crushing my hedge, and piled 3 feet into the roadway on either side of my drive.
    The police really need to start citing these fools before someone gets hurt.

24. sandy says:

Stamford roads are not what i expected, they usually do a better job, however, i think our biggest problem is, we need to start hauling snow away, streets are getting much too narrow, what about the children who will be waiting for school buses by these dangerous high mounds of snow, plowing is not getting what needs to be done, we need removal here in stamford.

25. Lynn says:

We were clearning our driveway this morning when a Derby Public Works plow driver stopped and yelled at us for blowing the snow into the street. WTF, where are we suppose to put it!

26. Lynn says:

side streets in stratford still not plowed

27. BMS mom says:

The roads in Danbury were plowed, but it’s the idiots that plow and shovel the snow off their driveways and back into the streets after they have been plowed that are making some areas slippery!

28. I live on Alanson rd. A one way side street and as of 2:15p the city has not plowed .very sad.

29. cedar drive resident says:

Danbury, near Lattin Cove. I heard the plow go down the street this morning, but didn’t hear any scraping. However, I DID hear the scraping when the driver came back up the other side of the road (these people are lake-front).

30. Steve says:

The main roads in Danbury are fine. The backroads need alot of work. I know on my road we have stupid people that park their cars on the road. Now are road is so narrow, you can only fit one car. When will the city wake up and fix the problem. Get these cars towed and enforce a winter long parking ban on the streets to people who have driveways and garages. It is unfair and ridiculous that the police in Danbury don’t try to fix it. What are we opaying our police for, to hang out at D & D? What if emergency vehicles need to go down these roads. Maybe if our mayor paid attention to what is going on in DANBURy, and not the rest of the state, we wouldn’t have this problem. Wake up Danbury!!!

31. Cindy says:

Suprisingly, our road was very well plowed today in Bethel. Last night, they hadn’t been plowed from the daytime snow and the last snow storm, the plow didn’t pass through until after dark. Bethel has really stepped it up today – thank you Town of Bethel!

32. Jason says:

Naugatuck is a mess. This town is joke when it comes to snow plowing. The best roads look like they’ve been plowed maybe once, and the rest of the town just looks like matted down snow from the cars. I really don’t know where my taxes go.

33. Greg says:

The City of Bridgeport cannot manage their resources. This is the 3rd blockbuster storm since Christmas and the 3rd failure in City response.

Roads such as Davidson Street are not plowed. The last storm we waited 3 days until the street was cleaned…only after much insistance from the neighbors.

Another clearly evident case that the Mayor cannot deliver on his promises to those who pay his salary.

34. Shelton says:

Sheltons roads are not plowed very well at all. Espicially in the white hills section of shelton, usually, we dont have to worry about the roads being plowed becasue normally the plow drivers do an excellent job, but my road and surrounding roads still have a good 15 inches that has not been plowed yet.

35. harry says:

It’s snowed for 12 hours. The plow truck has been up and down your road at least twice Wallingford.

36. John says:

I am in the process of moving out of Black Rock. The side roads are so bad. If it wasn’t for the rain last week, we wouldn’t have been able to get a truck anywhere close to the house this past weekend. I will not live in Bridgeport again because of this.

37. Judy says:

Danbury main roads look good, side roads have been plowed at least once and sanded for the most part. Good job, Danbury!

38. Steph says:

It’s now 11:430, Milford hasn’t plowed our street yet. Usually they would have gone through at least once.

39. Nicole says:

Bridgeport needs to firer the plow truck drives they have! My street looks like it was never plowed and since all the snow fall looks like it is nolonger a two way street n is now a one way! Bridgeport really needs to do better…

40. Kevin says:

Bridgeport again fails. Main roads were plowed as of this morning but side roads in Black Rock remain mostly unplowed. If you live on a dead end like I do, forget about getting out. It took 5 days after the last storm before we saw a city plow truck. I’m curious to see how many days it takes before I can move my car this time. I wonder, do I get a discount on my taxes because I live on a dead end street, as Bridgeport clearly puts less priority on plowing here?

41. John says:

Wallingford hasn’t plowed our street yet.