From the Westport fire department:
Fire Chief / Emergency Management Director Christopher Ackley after conferring with First Selectman Gordon Joseloff, Chief of Police Al Fiore and Public Works Director Steve Edwards would like to remind all residents of the following:
- Private roadways need to be plowed wide enough to allow access for emergency vehicles. We have received reports that some private roads are impassible to trucks.
- It requested that if you have a fire hydrant on your property to clear it of snow. In the event of a fire, this will save precious time.
- If your house number is displayed on your mailbox please insure that it is visible.
- Dumping snow into the roadway is dangerous and illegal and you may receive a summons from the Police Dept.
- Buildings with flat roofs and roof drains should be monitored to insure the roof drains are clear to prevent accumulation of water and ice.
Since we have been in a severe winter weather pattern with no quick end in sight we would ask the residents for their cooperation and patience regarding snow removal. Public Works Director Steve Edwards personnel have been working non-stop to clear and remove high piled snow.
And as a reminder to all if you think you have an emergency do not delay in calling 911. Do to the weather conditions responses times may be increased.