Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

Monroe resident wants Bridgeport to replace Uggs

BRIDGEPORT — A woman is asking the city to replace her Ugg boots, which were damaged during a visit last month to the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard.
Gina Zamary, of Monroe, filed her claim this month in the Bridgeport City Clerk’s office for the $250 to replace her Uggs. In a letter, Zamary states that on January 25 she attended a Sound Tiger’s hockey game at the arena with her son and husband. The family parked in one of the city-owned lots across the street.
“I came out of our car from the passenger side,” she wrote, “and proceeded across the front of our car and then found myself face down on the ground. When I turned to see what had happened I saw a Rebar hooked inside the front of my Ugg boots.”
The beige boots were torn in the front. Zamary decided to file her claim after Tom Saunders, the arena’s director of operations, informed her the venue was not liable because the parking lot was city-owned.
“If this had happened to someone elderly it could have been a more serious matter than a torn boot and some discomfort for a few days,” Zamary wrote in her letter.
She also notes that when she left the arena “the Rebar was still there…waiting for the next unfortunate individual.”

Keila Torres Ocasio

1. MrLogical says:

What she should have done was what they do in NYC: Fall; fake an injury; go to the hospital and complain of neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, etc. Then, contact a personal injury lawyer and file suit for personal injury, pain and suffering, loss of marital companionship, loss of work, etc. She’d probably get a healthy 5-figure settlement and be able to buy Uggs for her entire family for the rest of their natural lives. It’s the American way.

PS: You can bet that that re-bar has been torched off.

2. Ray says:

I agree with the others. Watch where you’re walking next time. This is insane. I wore my boots out from walking on the sidewalk. I want new ones too!!! Forget about it!! And as far as lighting. Those lots are very well lit. Let’s face it. She fell from not looking and now she feels she can replace her old boots witrh new ones at the city’s cost.

3. Jim says:

I think there is a level of personal responsibility to be maintained. Ellen, if you absentmindedly walk into a door, are you going to sue because it was dangerous? Or how about if you don’t pay attention while using scissors and cut a finger off…will you sue the scissor company?

Take some responsibility for your lives, people. I’m tempted to call in sick to be in the courtroom to watch the judge laugh so hard that he or she falls off the bench.

4. Ellen says:

The outdoor arena parking lot is a wreck and for all the money charged collectively, it should be in better repair. The woman is entitled to be fairly compensated for her damages. Damages can be to her property or to her self. Due to their negligence, why should she be out anything? They are lucky she didn’t have more serious injuries. I think it is the property owner’s responsibility to keep things in good repair AND well lighted- which it is not.

5. tweety says:

By the way, those boots look older so they have depreciated from their original value. The claim should be for a “used” price not new!

6. tweety says:

Maybe someone should LOOK where they are walking.