Milford Relief & Recovery Fair set for Saturday

The following is an announcement from Milford City Hall for residents affected by Hurricane Sandy:

As Milford residents continue to recover from “Sandy,” Mayor Benjamin G. Blake wishes to invite those individuals looking for assistance to the City of Milford’s Relief and Recovery Fair which will take place Saturday (Nov. 10) between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. at the Parsons Complex Gymnasium.

“This open house will provide residents in need of recovery and relief services a convenient centralized location to access information on services/programs that are available to them through the City and State, as well as services provided by relief organizations.”

Representatives from City and State departments and agencies, as well as the other relief agencies, will be present to answer questions and provide guidance on how to help residents recover.

Additionally, the City has provided the attached list of FAQ’s (printed below)  to assist and inform residents of what services are available.

Also, Milford officials have  set up a Public Use Computer Station at the Parsons Complex Gymnasium, 70 West River Street.

This computer station is available daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until Sunday, Nov. 11 for those residents without internet service who need to communicate with relatives and friends, and to access information which will assist their recovery.

In addition, residents may also use the computers and charge their devices at the Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Avenue during normal library hours.


“Sandy” Relief & Recovery Frequently Asked Questions

* When can I expect to get my power back?

United Illuminating expects to have power restored to 95% of Milford residents by midnight on Monday, November 5th. For further information contact United Illuminating at 1-800-722-5584 or UINET.Com

* What are the contact phone numbers for other utilities?

Southern Connecticut Gas Company – 866-268-2887 Cablevision – 203-336-2225 AT&T –800-280-3857 South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority –203-562-4020

* Where can I go to get food and water, shower or charge my electronic devices?

Meals Ready to Eat (MRE), bottled water, and tarps are available at Fire Station 6, 204 Melba Street and Fire Station 8, 349 Naugatuck Avenue.

Hot lunches (11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. daily) and bagged dinners (5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. daily) are available at the Beth El Shelter, 90 New Haven Avenue.

Continental breakfast, lunch and supper are available at the Milford Senior Center (weekdays).

Showers are available at Planet Fitness, 179 Boston Post Road, Pilot Travel, 433 Old Gate Lane, and the Woodruff Family YMCA, 631 Orange Avenue.

Charging stations are available during normal business hours at the Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Avenue and Milford Chamber of Commerce, 5 Broad Street.

* Is the water safe to drink? Is the sewage system working? Yes

* Where can I refrigerate my medicine or get power for my nebulizers and other medical devices?

The Milford Health Department, 82 New Haven Avenue, will refrigerate medication and supply power for nebulizers and other medical devices. The Milford Health Department is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* Will the City pick up my storm debris?

The City will be picking up storm debris. Debris should be separated and placed at the curb. Pick up will be on a continuing basis, as necessary. Storm debris should NOT be brought to the transfer station.

* When will my trash and recycling be picked up? The City will be picking up trash & recycling on your normal trash collection day.

* Whom should I call if I require transportation to receive city services related to this storm?

Milford Transit District – 203-874-4507

* How do I contact FEMA?

Individuals needing assistance can contact 1-800-621-FEMA (3352) or

* How can I be determine if a Contractor is licensed? To check on the status of a contractor’s license contact the Department of

Consumer Protection at 800-842-2649 or Residents can also contact the Milford Chamber of Commerce at 203-878-0681.

* Whom should I call if I think my contractor is price gouging?

Attorney General’s Office — (860) 808-5318

* Where can I make donations?

United Way of Milford, Inc. – 203-874-6791

* How can I help or volunteer?

People who are interested in helping and/or volunteering may contact the Milford Health Department (CERT) at 203-783-3285 or Bob Gregory at Milford Community Development at 203-783-3230.


The deadline to file 2012 personal property declarations has been extended to Nov. 15. Any questions, please contact the Milford Assessor’s office at 203-783-3215.

Limited quantities of tarps are available at Fire Stations 6 (Melba Street) and 8 (Naugatuck Avenue).

John Burgeson