Hot embers from a chimney landing on wooden shingles ignited a house fire Sunday morning in Westport.
A neighbor who spotted the fire dancing on the Washington Avenue roof at 9:30 called the fire department and alerted the home’s occupants, who had smelled smoke but were not aware of the fire. The fire department said smoke detectors in the home were not activated because the fire occurred in an unfinished attic area that did not have a smoke alarm.
The home sustained roof damage and minor smoke and water damage to the second floor. The 24 firefighters who responded to the blaze were off the scene by 11:15.