Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

David Walker says he’s not running for mayor … but adds never say never.

David Walker’s been a busy guy in Bridgeport.

The former U.S. Comptroller General under Republican President George W. Bush-turned-Bridgeport resident is a driving force behind a bipartisan legislative proposal to keep municipal employees off of the City Council.

I was a fly on the wall at a meeting in the Black Rock neighborhood Thursday night to discuss the bill. And while there were several local activists there, from former mayoral candidates to sitting state legislators, it often seemed Walker was running the show.

And Tuesday Walker took time to attend a public hearing at City Hall on Democratic Mayor Bill Finch’s response to the recent blizzard.

“Blasted” is an overused word in journalism these days, but that best describes Walker’s rant. He accused the administration of gross mismanagement.

“If you can’t do your job, step aside for people who can,” Walker thundered at Finch, his public works staff, and the all-Democratic City Council.

His appearance had me wondering if this guy may be considering a run for mayor.

Walker Thursday said no. He said while he has been approached to run for various offices, he is not interested.

But, he added, one never says never.

I understand from acquaintances that one of Walker’s challenges is his independence. While he worked for President Bush, Walker is not really allied with one party.

As we reported in a 2011 profile, Walker’s office is decorated with busts of ex-Presidents Teddy Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and George Washington.

Here’s Walker in a 2010 appearance on The Daily Show:

Brian Lockhart

1. Dave Walker says:

Gadfly, You need to do some research, and engage your brain before you put you mouth or fingers in motion! I’m sure you have a incredible record of accomplishment, not!

2. GadFly says:

Walker’s only accomplishment as Comptroller General was changing the name of the GAO. He is truly a legend in his own bald little head

3. GadFly says:

And I agree with Yak he was a failure. And for someone who claims to be non partisan he is often seen at public meetings with Linda McMahon toady and GOP Town Chairman John Slater

4. GadFly says:

Methinks Walker doth protest too loudly…I have been reading some of his replies to people and he seems to have a rather thin skin and an overly inflated opinion of himself…Walker is a legend in his own mind and should go move back to Alabama….

5. Ed Faulkner says:

David Walker is one of a remarkable few with a brain and a real understanding of economics. The US, and in fact the world, would be better off if he was POTUS rather than mayor or Bridgeport.

6. David M. Walker says:

I sent in a comment on Saturday and it still has not been posted. In summary, Yakity Yak needs to do more reading before he yaks. Contrary to his assertion, I never worked for President George W. Bush (43). In addition, I was highly crictical of Bush 43′s fiscally irresponsible policies when I was Comptroller General of the U.S. and CEO of the GAO. The Comptroller General is essentialy the nation’s auditor general and GAO is in the legislative branch of government. The record will show that, due to my efforts and those of many other GAO professionals,GAO was very successful and highly respected during my tenure. I was fortunate to receive many international and domestic awards and recognitions for the transformational changes that we made during my tenure. Dave

7. Dave Walker says:

I never worked for President Bush (43). I was appointed as Comptroller General of the United States and CEO of the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) by President Bill Clinton. GAO is in the legislative branch of the federal government. I served as Comptroller General for about 10 years during the Clinton and Bush (43) Administrations. I also received Presidential appointments from Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush (41). I have been a political independent since 1997 and act accordingly. I don’t care which party someone is associated with. I care about progress over partisanship and results over rhetoric.

8. Yakity Yak says:

Walker was a failure as Comptroller General….look at what his boss Bush destroyed our economy. Walker is a loudmouth richboy who knows nothing about this city and will harm our most financially vulnerable citizens