Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

Bpt. Councilwoman wants to move out of city over high taxes

About a dozen residents attended the public hearing the City Council’s Budget and Appropriations Committee held Monday on Mayor Bill Finch’s 2013-14 education budget.

As to be expected, some of the speakers were from the Black Rock section of town – the charming waterside neighborhood known for nice homes and high taxes. Residents of that area have been pleading with the council – all Democrats, like Finch – to oppose the mayor’s proposed tax hike.

The most interesting thing to happen at Monday’s hearing occurred afterward, when Councilwoman M. Evette Brantley, D-132, approached one of the Black Rock speakers to commiserate. Black Rock is in the 130th District.

“Our taxes are just as high as yours. I’m ready to sell and get out of here,” said Brantley, a homeowner.

EvetteBrantleyreg

Although council members have expressed concern over another tax increase, Brantley’s been fuming about it since Finch broke the news earlier this month.

A few minutes later on Monday Brantley repeated her lament to some of her council colleagues.

“I wish I could sell my house (and) go in a hole somewhere like the birds,” she said.

Brantley was born and raised in Bridgeport. Was she really serious? Would she leave the city? How about downsize to a condo?

“I would like wherever I could afford it,” she said.

Taxes are always a touchy topic. While recognizing taxes are too high, the administration has been particularly sensitive about the issue in recent weeks after H&R Block labeled Bridgeport the highest taxed city. The designation causes the mayor to get visibly agitated and Finch’s office has been working hard to dispute the claim.

Brantley’s candor will be refreshing for some and cause headaches for others, including, perhaps, herself.

Brian Lockhart

1. dave says:

The council members need to be held accountable for the actions they take on the new budget. Reguardless how the deck is stacked. The voters need to see who votes for the increase and vote them out next elections. That’s how we make a difference. especially those he sit on the council and work for this corrupted city.

2. anonymous says:

Easton taxes are high but at least you get something in return like great schools, low crime, etc.

3. Pearl says:

Easton property taxes are not exactly cheap — (prospective homebuyers routinely inform me about this revelation).

4. Charlie Gulotta says:

The more I read about the tax situation in Bridgeport the more disturbing the story gets. I have a simple question that should help those on the city council tasked with trying to rein in the constant tax increases. HOW DO YOU MEASURE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CITY DEPARTMENTS? The departments who do not perform or meet their goals and objectives should not get any increase and should probably have their budget decreased. Those departments who have exceeded their goals should be considered for increase. Every organization I have been associated with works this way.
    Why does the paper not focus on this issue? It would help the city council deal with out of control budgets. Measure RESULTS it is a tool to find out who is doing the job!!! Please publish something about this.

5. RLV says:

8:29 AM on April 23, 2013

Here’s what I like:
    - don’t need PD, I’ll protect my own
    -FD, don’t need, I’ll take my chances
    -Garbage, I’ll pay for that one.
    - Snow, ok, drop the plow on occasion
    - Education, can’t pay for that one, go to private schools.
    TOTAL Savings: Say’ 70% on my taxes. Sounds good to me…

6. TheVolleyballGod says: