SHELTON — A motorcycle ride and event, sponsored by the five Newtown fire departments, will begin in Shelton and will result in the closure of several city streets as well as a parking ban, according to Police Lt. Robert Kozlowsky.
Shelton is hosting the event, called the Green Ribbon Ride, which will begin at the Riverwalk. Participants will be assembling there.
The parking ban is in effect from 6:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. for posted streets and 12 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for the Municipal parking lots at Cornell Street/Howe Avenue and Howe Avenue — next to the Donut Stop on May 5th.
Any vehicles parked within said areas during the stated hours will be towed at owner’s expense, Kozlowsky said.
The road closures will begin at 7 a.m. until approximately 12:30 p.m.
The following streets will be affected by the ban and closure:
1. HOWE AVENUE – From Wharf Street to Center Street – BOTH SIDES.
2. HOWE AVENUE – From Center Street to Bridge Street – EAST SIDE OR NORTHBOUND CURB.
3. CANAL STREET – From Wharf Street to Bridge Street – BOTH SIDES.
4. CORNELL STREET – From Howe Avenue to Canal Street – BOTH SIDES.
5. HILL STREET – From Howe Avenue to Canal Street – BOTH SIDES.
6. WHARF STREET – From Howe Avenue to Canal Street – BOTH SIDES.
High turnout is expected for this event and police are warning drivers that there may be significant traffic delays in the area. Any questions related to the parking ban and street closures should be directed to the Shelton Police Traffic Division.
For information on the event, visit: http://www.greenribbonride.com/