Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

Graphic video shows immediate aftermath of the train crash

A YouTube clip taken moments after the train collision in Bridgeport shows the immediate aftermath of the crash. It was posted by a teenager who says he and his friends saw the crash from the Rampage skateshop near the accident.

WARNING: The video features raw footage at the time of the crash and lots of explicit language.

Chris Duray

1. rudolph caparros says:

TOXIC TRAIN WAR – THE CHLORINE INSTITUTE (a trade association of chlorine producers) claims that its “C” Kit, a repair kit for chlorine rail tank cars, is safe to use. Hazmat experts say The Chlorine Institute “C”-Kit is extremely hazardous and its use must be discontinued. Learn the truth, See–PETITION C KIT for First Responders Comments.

2. Lynn says:

The boys did NOT stay out of the way, they went up there when they knew they shouldn’t have. They simply walked back and forth filming. Parts were edited when they were being yelled at to get away later on.
    The passengers seemed calm because THEY were in shock. Someone truly in shock is rendered speechless or talks nonsensically, NOT dropping swears every few seconds. That’s just a representation of being poorly brought up and educated.

3. Karen says:

I understand that these teenage boys are not qualified to offer medical help, but I see people needing help to exit the trains and these boys could have lent a helping hand – but it doesn’t seem to even occur to them to help those in need. (and I agree with those complaining about the swearing. I hate it. Just because you do it, doesn’t mean it’s right. It’s terrible.)

4. Mom says:

Lots of criticism for kids who live in the city the rest of Fairfield County would like to jettison from the county! They are asking people if they’re OK, yet also not sure they should be there, or whether it’s safe to walk on the tracks. One called in the train wreck on his phone. Another assured people that the police were coming. At the start of the video, there were a lot of people in cars, who just kept going. Kids learn about helping people from role modeling, and a lot of what they see every day are people looking- or voting- the other way. We are all in this together.

5. mike says:

They confused it with a video game.

6. Wattie says:

Who would want 15 year old boys to offer medical help? These kids stayed out of the way like they should have.

7. bubba says:

for those not familiar – there is a skateboard center (rampage) right here where these kids were skating…what do you expect from them…

8. annoyed says:

Awsome, I get to listen to stupid teenagers that only know the words SH$t and F$ck. Thanks for jumping in and helping those injured. Why post this video of idiot teenagers that would not even help out.

9. Lucia says:

Fascinating video but…
    More shocking than their language is the fact that not one of the boys offered to help anyone!

10. John says:

I’m shocked these kids did not offer to help and seemed more concerned about getting it all on video. That said, the video is a stunning look at the first moments after the crash taken before the rescuers arrived. I’m impressed by how calm the passengers and train crew members were.

11. RAB says:

I see two responses posted here and they’re both negative. But when I watch the video what I see is instinctual journalists, recording the overview and significant details and their own commentary, and astounded kids expressing shock and sympathy with the most accessible vocabulary (many of us use the same language when we’re “speechless”). And rather than confuse the scene further with untrained assistance, they stayed out of the way. I’m very impressed. The only sad part for me is noticing how automatic it seems to relate to people and events by way of a video screen rather than face to face. But that’s our culture everywhere.

12. kristen says:

It’s called “in shock” that’s why they are swearing…..it doesn’t take a genius to figure that out!

13. kristen says:

GREAT VIDEO!!

14. RD says:

The future of America – what a joke

15. neph says:

what was that shirt he was wearing.? LOL for real tho its sad what our towns and country are turning into. Youth lost, adults brainwashed, all day media junk food, those kids are just products of their piss poor city..

16. Raj says:

Why didn’t the reporter simply delete the sound? Is he or she as ignorant as these skateboarding idiots?

17. Linda says:

Disgusting! Shame on these self-centered kids! Missed opportunity to help someone……It’s all about them and their potty mouths.

18. Bob says:

Yes, instead of being helpful, all they could do is drop ‘F’ bombs and more every other second. Sad state of our youth, for sure.

19. sally says:

this is completely awesome. i prefer these kids’ reporting to 100% of what i see on tv. power to the people yo!! for realz!!!

20. Tam says:

Too much profanity I mean I know it’s unbelievable but kids when I know that they have been taught the English language.

21. alex says:

they should have their own investigative news journal tv show

22. Andrew says:

Does the CT Post really need to post a video where every other word starts with “F”? Not sure this is the best way to inform people of the news. Poor decision from the CT Post.

23. Cora Nichols says:

Very sad this happened-Very sad these young people can use technology but cannot express themselves, only in limited four letter words. Very sad that not one of them ran to ask if they could help. Glad for the video but I wonder about the future of our young people, and I don’t believe its their fault.

24. larry says:

I think you should bleep out the f****k. sound

25. Carl P Palmer says:

I am disgusted that CT post would post a video like this. Yes it’s reality but buying a video cell phone clip from a kid and posting as footage only makes me seek news from sites not looking to cash in. Shame on CT post.

26. Mary says:

I agree Tom, I think they were too busy cussing and filming. We live in a very sad world, we really do.

27. Yo Man says:

Film but do not help.
    Thanks guys.

28. missbelle says:

This is the reporting we receive absent professional journalism. All events are reduced to two concepts– f**k and s**t.

29. Tom says:

Why didnt they help people get off the train? Kids these days…