Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

Bpt. Ethics Commission takes up/tables Walker complaint. Shhhh!!!

Shhhhhh. Can you keep a secret?

I’m not supposed to know this under city statutes, but Wednesday Bridgeport’s Ethics Commission took up the conflict-of-interest complaint ex-U.S. Comptroller General David Walker filed last week against City Council President Tom McCarthy, D-133.

Walker thinks McCarthy has a conflict-of-interest serving on the council and working in the city’s labor office.

You can read his complaint here at the Only in Bridgeport website.

The commission entered into executive session around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday to privately discuss an undisclosed complaint (Walker’s. Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!).

City Attorney Mark Anastasi and John Bohannon, a lawyer who does some work for Bridgeport, were there to defend McCarthy’s and any other municipal employee’s right to serve on the city’s legislative body.

Technically the charter forbids it. But the charter, Anastasi has said repeatedly over the years, is trumped by Connecticut law – a law that state Rep. Jack Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, with Walker’s support, tried unsuccessfully to change during the just adjourned 2013 session of the General Assembly.

After executive session the Ethics Commission voted to table the undisclosed complaint (Walker’s. Don’t tell anyone!!!!!).

What happens now? Well, under statute Walker won’t have a chance to appear before the Ethics Commission in person. He filed the complaint and the city got its day in court to respond.

It might be interesting if McCarthy was asked to show up at some point.

But as critics of the Ethics Commission have pointed out, that body does not have the resources to conduct truly thorough and independent investigations. In fact the commission is staffed by Anastasi’s office.

In this corner … Daaaaaaaavid Waaaaaaaalker!!!

walker1

And in this corner … Toooooooom McCaaaaaaaarthy!!!

MCCARTHY

Brian Lockhart

1. Dave Walker says:

Bpt Exile,

If you read the article you would know that it confirmed what I said. I had left Arthur Andersen 3 1/2 years before Enron and had notthing to do with Enron. In addition, I did not have a pension or any financial interest with Arthur Andersen when I was CGOTUS. The article also incorrectly stated that I was on the Board with Arthur Ansersen for a period of time. I was previously on the Board of Arthur Andersen Financial Advisors which is an RIA and had nothing to do with Enron. Finally, I have been investigated by the FBI for Presidential appointments three times and confirmed unanimiously by the Senate all three times. I have nothing to hide and am proud of my service record. Comparing me to Tom McCarthy is like comparing light to darkness. He should be held accounatable for his conflicts and unacceptable performance (e.g., the recent driveway debacle) and hopefully he will be.

2. Bpt Exile says:

An interesting link concerning Arthur Andersen…Enron and the GAO investigation

3. Bpt Exile says:

A lot of people believe that Enron started while you were there and you were not some VP…And there was a controversy about your getting involved in the investigation since as a former partner in their auditor you had a conflict of interes

4. Ellen O says:

Bridgeport has an Ethics Committee????

5. Dave Walker says:

Bpt Exile,

You need to do your homework. I left Arthur Andersen to become Comptroller General of the U.S. several years before Enron and had nothing to do with it.

6. Just some facts says:

Ethics
    Seven members, all residents & electors of city
    All members nominated by Mayor, confirmed by the City Council
    No candidate can be an office-holder or political activist
    Terms of two years
    Members serve until a successor is appointed and has qualified.
    Meet 2nd Wednesday of the month
    Click here to visit their website
    Mary Donnelly (D)

Term Expires: 12/31/2014

Harry Weichsel (U)
    64 Janet Circle
    Bridgeport, CT 06606
    Term Expires 12/31/2009

7. Sadinbpt says:

How awful. It’s really just a joke. I think a class action lawsuit is the only way to go. It is in fact, our money And these people took an oath of public trust to care for our best interest. The first of many examples can be the 400k driveway I helped to pay for with my backbreaking tax dollars. On and on and on. Thank God we have David walker, JML, Andy Fardy, Judge Carmen Lopez and others who have time, intelligence and a bit of money behind them to get the ball rolling. Tax payers Vs the city of Bridgeport et.al. Our only hope in my opinon

8. Dave Walker says:

This makes no sense. The complaint that I filed does not challenge McCarthy’s right to be on the City Council. It notes that he has violated other provisions of the City Charter as well as the City’s Ethics Ordinance. The Ethics Committee can not punt on those issues. They need to deal with them. When will they do so? If they don’t, we’ll have to go to Court.

9. Bpt Exile says:

Much as I have no use for Mr McCarthy and the rest of the Finchites…When Walker makes complaints about conflicts of interest he should remember the saying about people who live in glass houses. Google his name, google Arthur Andersen where he was a partner before going to the GAO and google Enron, makes for quite a bit of reading….