Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog

Man dies after Shelton house fire

|

UPDATE 9:58 AM.: A 52-year-old Shelton man has died at Bridgeport Hospital after a fire in a downtown Shelton house.

0122shelfire

Click to enlarge

Fire Marshal James Tortora identified the man  as Michael Boroski.

Boroski was unconscious when he was found by firefighters. He was rushed to a Bridgeport Hospital after a fire damaged a home there Wednesday evening.

Tortora said the cause of the fire was accidental. He said the cause was misuse of smoking materials.

Flames were reportedly to be showing from the first floor of a two-and-a-half story home at 593 Howe Avenue around 5:30 p.m. Fire crews knocked down the fire in about 15 minutes.

The victim was found unresponsive in front of the home when rescuers arrived.

The fire Wednesday night was about a quarter-mile down the street from the fire and building collapse that left more than two dozen people homeless earlier this month.

Howe Avenue was briefly closed between Brook and White streets during the evening commute and the state Department of Transportation recommended that drivers find alternate routes. The road re-opened shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The American Red Cross is helping five people – three adults and two children in two families – after a fire. The displaced families were able to make temporary housing arrangements. Red Cross volunteers John Glendon, Peter Fusco and Jennifer Atkins met with the families and provided Red Cross comfort kits and information about recovering from a fire.

Comfort kits contain personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other items a person might not have been able to gather in the rush to escape the fire. Recovery information packets contain information about dealing with many of the tasks after a fire including working with your insurer, cleaning your possessions, helping to assess issues caused by relocations and much more.

“Recovery packets give families a number of resources in planning their recovery and are provided to all families after a disaster,” said Red Cross spokesperson Paul Shipman. “Our caseworkers talk one-on-one with displaced families after a fire and are available for follow-up, but the recovery packet can help answer questions that may come later.”

The Red Cross volunteers met with the families at nearby Echo Firehouse, the same location used in the wake of a fire on Howe Avenue January 6 that displaced several families. “We are grateful to the Town of Shelton for their partnership in helping families affected by disaster,” Shipman said. “

Categories: General
Wes Duplantier

Leave a Reply