Easton cops relieved of hot potato

BRIDGEPORT – The Easton Police Department is getting rid of a hot potato – a $377,000 hot potato.

Police seized the money from the safe of Easton landscaper Cory Dawid, accused of raping his wife and then trying to hang her from a noose affixed to the ceiling of their garage, and has been trying to get it off its hands ever since.

“The Easton police seized the money and is very anxious to get it off their hands,” said Dawid’s lawyer, Edward Gavin.

While Superior Court Judge Robert Devlin said he is concerned that the Easton Police Department has still not filed any paperwork showing they took the money, he agreed Wednesday to order it turned over to Gavin. However, he won’t have it for very long.

Attorney Raymond Plouffe Jr., who represents Dawid’s wife in her divorce action, told a judge that later Wednesday a divorce court judge will transfer the money to him. “A portion of it will be used for Mr. Dawid’s defense costs but none will be used for his bail,” Plouffe said.

Dawid is currently being held in lieu of $5 million bond – he would need to post at least $500,000 to get out.

Easton police would not comment on the money but a police source said they have been very nervous ever since they seized it, frequently counting it to make sure it is still all there.

Dawid, 42, is charged with first-degree sexual assault, sexual assault of a spouse, attempted murder, first-degree assault, strangulation and breach of peace.

In the early morning of March 11, the Dawid’s young teenaged son had been awakened by some loud noises, had come out of his bedroom, looked over the stair rail and saw his father dragging his mother by the arms with a towel over her face towards the garage, police said. The boy called 911.

When police arrived they said Dawid answered the door and they noticed he had droplets of blood on his shirt. They said he first told them he had gotten into a fight with the dog but then blurted out, “I might as well be straight with you guys, just put the handcuffs on me now and take me to jail…She’s in the garage, I tried to kill her.”

Police said they went into the family’s three-bay garage where they found the victim lying face down on the cement floor gasping for air and convulsing. A rope noose was suspended from the ceiling and there was a step ladder set up next to it.

Police said when they asked Dawid what had happened to his wife he stated, “I tried to hang her.”

Daniel Tepfer