FAIRFIELD – A Fairfield University students was arrested after police said he started a fire in the bathroom of his campus residence.
Spencer Higgins, 23, was charged with reckless burning and reckless endangerment. He was released on a promise to appear in court on May 16.
On Monday evening firefighter responded to a fire in McInnes Hall at the university. When police got to the scene they were met by Higgins who initially claimed the smoke was due to burnt fish on the stove. However, police said he eventually admitted he had set the fire.
They said he told them he was cleaning up the apartment in preparation for leaving for the summer and decided instead of recycling a large stack of papers he would set the stack on fire. But the fire quickly got out of control.
Police said Higgins told them he had learned his lesson.