Connecticut Postings

Connecticut Post newsroom blog
Posts filtered on Category

Fire

House Fire in Monroe

on
MONROE-The town’s fire departments are battling a blaze at 551 Elm Street. The location is off Twin Brook Terrace. No further information is available at this time. [Read More]
Categories: Fire, General, Monroe, Town
Education_Club_Mareeka 2014 mar_0083 (2)

Derby native promotes reading in Bridgeport

on
BRIDGEPORT-Stephanie Ditko, a Derby native and vice president of the Sacred Heart University Education Club helped organize a book collection, cash donation and a day of reading at the Discovery Magnet School. The club, composed of education majors, collected more than 1,000 books and a $300 donation which they handed to Sangeeta Bella, the school’s […] [Read More]

NJ man dies in Milford canoeing accident

on
MILFORD-A 24-year old New Jersey man pulled from the chilly waters of Long Island Sound after falling out of canoe Saturday has died at Milford Hospital. Jeffrey Young of North Caldwell, N.J. died at the hospital. His female companion is being treated for hypothermia. Her identity was unavailable. Milford police and fire along with the […] [Read More]
Categories: Coast Guard , Cops , Fire , Milford , Orange | More
012214DavidLenart

EMT classes in Derby

on
DERBY-Storm Ambulance Corpos will be offering an Emergency Medical Technician learning course which will begin March 24 and continue to June 23. Classes will run from 6 p.m. t0 10 p.m. on Monday and Wedneday nights with a few Saturday classes that will go from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.. Course cost is $650 per […] [Read More]

Stratford Fire Marshal warns of CO danger

on
From the Office of the Town of Stratford Fire Marshal: STRATFORD — Due to the many carbon monoxide stories recently exposed to the public, the Stratford Fire Marshal’s Office would like to offer some guidance and facts about the poisonous gas that we all may encounter in our homes and businesses we may visit. Carbon […] [Read More]
Categories: Fire, General, Health
photo car fire FFD

Car Fire on I-95

on
FAIRFIELD-A 2013 Volkswagon Golf burned out of control Saturday closing 1-95′s northbound ramp on exit 19 for about an hour. Fairfield firefighters extinquished the blaze which caused heavy damage to the car. Westport fire assisted at the scene. “The driver of the car was very lucky to have been able to safely stop the car […] [Read More]
Categories: Automotive , Fairfield , Fire , Town , Traffic | More

Two small fires in Stratford Thursday morning

on
STRATFORD — The Fire Department responded to two pesky fires Thursday morning. The first occurred just after midnight at General Linen Services, 895 Woodend Road in the town’s South End. Firefighters discovered that a portion of the building that contained linens had caught fire, and they were successful in containing the blaze to that part […] [Read More]
A fire on the morning of Feb. 16, 2014 turned this home on Wayne Street into a total loss. Its owner was taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. Photo: John Burgeson

One man homeless after blaze in Bridgeport’s North End

on
BRIDGEPORT — An early morning fire on Sunday in the city’s North made a total loss of a single-family home and sent its owner to the hospital. Fire Dept. officials said that the 6 a.m. blaze at 520 Wayne St. may have been caused by a cigarette, although the investigation by the fire marshal’s office […] [Read More]
Categories: Bridgeport, Fire
photo

Echo Hose Firefighters Commended by Senator

on
SHELTON-U.S. Senator Chris Murphy toured the Echo Hose fire department Friday and thanked the volunteers present for the heroism they showed in rescuing residents from the Jan. 6 building fire and collapse at 434 Howe Avenue. Firefighter Kevin Lantowsky, who helped create a donation program to help the 29 people left homeless, was among those […] [Read More]
Categories: Fire, General, Shelton

Blumenthal to tour Shelton fire scene

on
SHELTON-U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal will tour the scene of the devastating fire that collapsed a four story building on Howe Avenue Jan. 6. The blaze displaced 29 residents on the upper floors and several small businesses including Howe Convenient, a florist and a hair salon on the lower level. Accompanying the Senator on the 10 […] [Read More]
Categories: Ansonia , Congress , Derby , Fire , General | More