Handshakes: Greenwich wraps up 20-0 season

Matt Pruner turns the double play.

Well that was certainly unexpected when the season began.

I thought based on what I saw and knew of the Greenwich players in the preseason that they were being slightly undersold by people predicting how things would shake out this season in the FCIAC.

I never would have thought they would have gone 20-0.

Greenwich coach Mike Mora even joked early in the year saying, “hey, it’s not like we are going to go 20 and 0.”

Mora, like most observers, knew the FCIAC was an incredibly balanced league this year 1 through 16 (sorry Bridgeport schools).

Look no further than the fact that Trinity took Greenwich to extra innings this year.

“You need good pitching, good defense, timely hitting and a little luck, and we have had that,” Mora said. “You need a little luck to do that in this game and we have been living the right way.”

On to the game.

* Greenwich was going to win with a committee of pitchers and they did, using four, including two sophomores in JT Hintzen and Kyle Dunster.

Something I have noticed is the Cardinals never get rattled or panic in tight spots, even the youngsters. It is a quality that starts at the top with Mora and works down through the captains.

* Found it a bit odd that Danbury pitched Ash Rao the full game today with the playoffs starting Monday but Shaun Ratchford surely knows his team better than I do.

* Callahan and Matt Pruner turned a nifty double play in the second inning on a ball Callahan had to charge before fielding. They have become very in sync with each other over the last two years and it shows with their work up the middle.

* Ricky Okazaki continues to swing a hot bat, going 2 for 3.

Okazaki was also stellar behind the plate today, keeping several tough balls in front of him.

* Danbury had a little food cart serving hot dogs, hamburgers and nachos and while I did not partake, the line of players and fans after the game was immense.

I filed my story from the parking lot and there were still people in line as I was leaving almost an hour after the game.

Scott Ericson