Malloy is down with his brothers and sisters at “Occupy Hartford”

|

The scene: Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s economic summit in the Connecticut Convention Center. In meeting room 11, he hosts a morning news conference to pitch an association called the Startup America Partnership, which if approved by the General Assembly later in the month, would foster young businesses and help create jobs.

Blogster: “Governor, speaking of jobs, do you have an opinion about the people who are organizing the Occupy Hartford protests spinoff of the Wall Street people? A couple hundred gathered yesterday afternoon….”

Malloy: “Listen, I think there’s a great frustration in the United States. We have a Congress that is refusing to take up a jobs-creation bill. We live in a country where infrastructure is failing us on a daily basis and other states are vastly exceeding our level of investment. There are many reasons for people to be frustrated in our economy. And in a democracy it is appropriate to represent that frustration as long as you do it in a peaceful and law-abiding way.”

Blogster: “Would you go down there and talk to them at some point?”

Malloy: “It’s entirely possible that I will talk to those folks. I suspect that I talk to those folks everyday, because I know I’m talking to frustrated people every day.”

9 Responses

  1. There is not in the world so toilsome a trade as the pursuit of fame; life concludes before you have so much As sketched your work.

  2. Fat Sean says:

    Also, tax cuts do not create jobs. Didn’t work in the 1980s. Didn’t work in the 1990s. Didn’t work in the 2000s. Won’t work now.

    Demand creates jobs. Money in the pockets of consumers creates jobs.

  3. Fat Sean says:

    If you can’t afford the electricity, use less. We need to cut Social Security and Medicare pay-outs in half. Let the dying generation that drove us off this cliff feel some of the pain of the fixes.

    I have a 6-figure job. I paid off my house. I’m under 40. I support Occupy Wall Street and the changes they want.

    Low-income internet crybabies should have tried harder in school. I went to WCSU, it was pretty cheap!

  4. OS says:

    I wonder how much of the “frustated people” he talks to ever day are frustrated with him? Or maybe because of him?

  5. MrLogical says:

    Hey, Dannel: Want to reinvigorate the CT economy?

    Try this:

    - Lower corporate taxes.
    - Lower income taxes.
    - Lower sales taxes.
    - Cut fees that discourage and inhibit business creation and growth.
    - End burdensome regulations that discourage business growth.
    - Lay off 20% of the state’s workforce. (At least half of the remaining 80% will finally have to go to work).
    - Reform the state’s pension system; end the ‘last 3 years’ grab-bag and end lifetime medical coverage.
    - Stop awarding of longevity bonuses – represented and non-represented.
    - Stop wasteful transit programs like NH/Springfield high-speed rail; New Britain/Hartford bus to nowhere; etc.
    - End wasteful social programs that promote sloth and govt. dependency.
    - Stop issuing wasteful unfunded mandates that add costs to cities and towns.

    And then step back while jobs are created, businesses grow and tax revenues increase.

  6. MrLogical says:

    And….it’s very likely that Comrade Malloy will feel quite at home with them.

  7. JG says:

    Of Course Malloy would talk to them, they are his natural constituents. They sit around and gripe while normal, productive people go to work.

  8. BobInThe2nd says:

    Because electric rates just aren’t high enough.

    (hint: Ct has the highest rates in the US, save the islands)

  9. Palin Smith says:

    Starve the people….freeze the people…..run everyone out of the state! Shut down all the powerplants. Stop the trucks from delivering food. Dannel 88 is a winner!