This from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority:
“The MTA Board has authorized Metro-North to offer a credit to any New Haven Line Monthly and Weekly Ticket Holder to compensate for the significant disruption caused by a Con Edison power outage to an 8-mile stretch in the heart of the line. The length and magnitude of the impact of this non-weather related event makes this disruption unique in MTA and Metro-North’s history.
Specifics for each type of ticket follow. Highlights of the program are:
- This credit will be a prorated amount, based on the ultimate duration of this service interruption. Exact credit amounts will be provided shortly and will be based on ticket type and purchase price for each fare zone.
- Customers holding Weekly Tickets valid during this time period can begin applying for this credit on October 9th. Customers with Monthly Tickets for September and October can begin applying for this credit on October 20th when November monthly tickets go on sale. Monthly customers who hold both a September and October ticket are urged to apply for this credit for both tickets at the same time. For New Haven Line customers who submit both tickets for credit towards their November ticket purchase, Metro-North will honor New Haven Line November monthly tickets for travel beginning October 20th.
- Mail&Ride Customers will have this credit automatically applied to their December ticket. WebTicket Customers should visit a ticket window in order to receive this credit.
- Any customer with a monthly or weekly ticket for transportation during this period must surrender their ticket in order to receive this credit.
- Customers can choose to apply for this credit at any time between the dates listed above and March 31, 2014.
- There will be no processing fee charged for these credit transactions.
- In anticipation of the potential for congestion at ticket windows, Metro-North will open more ticket windows with extended hours at select outlying New Haven Line stations and in Grand Central Terminal. There will also be special temporary locations/windows set up at Stamford Station and in Grand Central to handle credit processing. (See details below.)
Outlined below is the process for each ticket type:
CREDIT FOR WEEKLY TICKETS BEGINS OCTOBER 9
- Weekly tickets will be accepted for credit from October 9 to March 31, 2014 at all New Haven Line and Grand Central ticket windows and additional locations & times indicated below.
- Tickets valid for the weeks of September 21 to 27 and September 28 to October 4 can be submitted for credit toward the purchase of a future ticket. (This will be adjusted to reflect the actual date of full restoration of service.)
- Customers will be required to surrender their ticket at a ticket office to apply the credit.
CREDIT FOR MONTHLY TICKETS BEGINS OCTOBER 20
- Monthly tickets will be accepted for credit from October 20 to March 31, 2014 at all New Haven Line & Grand Central ticket windows and additional locations & times indicated below.
- Monthly tickets for September and October will be prorated for the cost of the rail service portion ONLY for the period of time affected by the Con Ed power outage.
- September and October monthly tickets can be submitted individually or combined for a credit toward the purchase of one monthly ticket.
- All monthly ticket customers are urged to purchase their November ticket early. If customers submit both their October and September monthly tickets for credit toward their November ticket, in this case only the New Haven Line November ticket will be valid starting October 20th.
- Customers will be required to surrender their September and October monthly tickets at a ticket office to apply the credit.
- Customers holding a monthly ticket with a MetroCard, may wish to submit their credit request at a later time if there is still value on the MetroCard. Metro-North ticket windows cannot transfer MetroCard value. The MetroCard value can only be transferred to another card at Subway station booths.
Mail&Ride Customers: The appropriate credit will be automatically applied to the purchase of your December monthly ticket. Customers who opt out of the Mail&Ride program for the December monthly should contact Mail&Ride at 511 (outside of NYS, 877-690-5114).
WebTicket Customers: Ticket holders will have to go to a ticket window for a credit toward the purchase of a future ticket.
WHERE TO GO TO GET YOUR CREDIT:
To help customers obtain their credits quickly and conveniently—and to minimize long lines and waiting times for customers—Metro-North will have more ticket windows in operation with extended window hours at select New Haven Line stations and in Grand Central Terminal beginning October 21through November 1.
Also, special temporary locations will be set up at Stamford (October 24) and in Grand Central (October 28-November 1).
More Ticket Windows/Extended Hours (October 21 through October 25)
The number of current ticket windows in Grand Central and at outlying New Haven Line stations will be increased. Outlying locations will have extended hours as follows:
- Additional windows will be open from 6 AM to 10 PM at New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, Greenwich, New Rochelle, and Harlem-125th Street.
- Additional windows will be open from 2 PM to 10 PM at South Norwalk and Fordham.
- Stamford Station:Thursday, October 24
Two additional, dedicated windows will be open from 6 AM-8 PM in Stamford Station where customers can apply for monthly and weekly credits toward a future ticket.
- Grand Central/Vanderbilt Hall: October 28 to November 1
Eight temporary, dedicated locations will be open on the west side of Vanderbilt Hall from 6 AM to 8 PM where New Haven Line customers can apply for monthly and weekly credits toward the purchase of a future ticket.
Metro-North regrets any inconvenience that you may have experienced during this service disruption.
For any questions about the credit process, please contact Customer Service at 511 (outside of NYS, 877-690-5114).”