Education Matters

Short descriptive tagline

Supreme Court: Keep Vallas in office for now

|

BRIDGEPORT — Paul Vallas will remain in charge of the city school system until the Connecticut Supreme Court acts on the appeal of his qualifications to hold office.

The ruling to reinstate a stay removed by the trial court came Thursday, just hours after the court received an 11-page motion from attorneys representing those fighting to remove Vallas. The motion argued Bridgeport would do just fine without Vallas.

“That is great news. Nothing has changed. We are moving forward with summer school and preparing for the opening of school,” said Lissette Colon, Vallas’ chief of staff who added that Vallas was not available for comment.

Steve Ecker, Vallas’ attorney said he had spoken to his client and that he was please.

Vallas has been in charge of the district since late 2011 in an acting capacity. His qualifications for the job came into question when the board offered him a three year contract this year. A state law was created to allow him to get an exemption of the required certification. Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis ruled last month that the program Vallas took to get that waiver did not satisfy the law and ordered him immediately removed for office.

The decision was appealed and the Supreme Court agreed to hear oral arguments the week of September 16.

to follow me go to twitter/lclambeck

Categories: General
Linda Lambeck

Leave a Reply