DeShields Commits to UNC (ESPN HoopGurlz)

The Huskies have lost another one of their top recruits from the Class of 2013. ESPN HoopGurlz has reported that Diamond DeShields, a 6-foot-1 wing from Norcross, Ga., has orally committed to North Carolina.

Taya Reimer, a 6-3 post player from Fishers, Ind., orally committed to Notre Dame April 27.

Here is the report filed by ESPN HoopGurlz …

Diamond DeShields, the No. 3 prospect in the ESPN HoopGurlz Super 60, told ESPN HoopGurlz she has verbally committed to North Carolina. The 6-foot-2 junior wing chose the Tar Heels over finalists Connecticut, Duke, Maryland and Tennessee.

“I felt at North Carolina I can be myself on and off the court,” DeShields said. “Coach (Sylvia) Hatchell develops players in to young women.”

DeShields is the highest ranked player to commit in the 2013 class to date and only the second five-star player to make a verbal commitment.

“I feel like once you get that feeling, you should do it,” DeShields said. “I have had this feeling about some of the other schools, but never for this long.”

DeShields said with her mind made up she didn’t want to lead any of the other schools on in the recruiting process. She now shifts her focus to USA Basketball U17 national team trials later this month before the the July viewing period where she and her AOT Lady Rebels are hoping to redeem some close losses from the spring.

Rich

1. Lorena Wood says:

DD and EDD

Geno and CD wasted valuable resources on both double d’s

2. fanofit says:

This played out perfectly for UConn. They recruited her just enough to give her props.

After watching film, I would have to say that she did not qualify for the awesome team oriented and highly disciplined passing game. She is a ball hog making her a polar opposite to UConn culture.

She can shine somewhere else. Thank god that’s not with UConn.

Now Saniya Chong fits in perfectly.

3. Geo says:

“…I can be myself on and off the court…”, Perhaps UConn dodged a bullet here.

4. Will P. says:

Uconn will more than likely get a top 10 wing in 2014. Morgan and Breanna can play wing or forward and we already have Mosqueda-Lewis so 2014 will really be the most important. I saw Breanna in Springfield and I was impressed by her all around skills. The Girl is NASTY!!

5. Beth W says:

Wow, you guys are nasty. Improved parity in the women’s game is a must to grow this sport. UCONN has an excellent incoming class and I for one welcome the Tarheels back to a hopeful position of dominance. Now if we can get some of the Pac 12 women’s programs in the top tiers I’ll be happy.

Where do y’all see Tennessee landing in the next 2-3 years?

6. geneco says:

The above comment is all wet. Sounds like more sour grapes than anything with any validity.

Since when does Geno have to make excuses. If you are intelligent enough to look at his record you don’t make ridiculous statements like the above.

To say that the number one recruit isn’t worth anything is just not true. Stewart will make her mark quickly.

7. The Truth Hurts says:

Diamond’s 2 *weeks* of recruiting landed a *better* class than the 2 *years* Geno spent recruiting Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson

8. UConn Husky Fan says:

This gives Geno and CD the excuses they were looking for to now recruit the Banks, Engelns, Johnsons, and Bucks of the 2013 class.

Geno only wants to play 6 or 7 in March, so he has the thin bench excuse when they lose in the semi.

Geno is afraid to blemish his 7-0 NC; he is the WCBB version of boxing’s Mayweather.

All those who think Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck will lead UConn to a NC in 2014/15 will be disappointed.

1 of the 3 will transfer after landing in Geno’s doghouse.