UConn freshman Breanna Stewart is one of six finalists for the 2011-12 Gatorade Female National Player of the Year award. She is looking to become the third UConn player to win the award, joining Tina Charles (2006) and Maya Moore (2007).
Huskies’ sophomore Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was a finalist last year.
Morgan Andrews (soccer), Jordan Burgess (volleyball), Geri Ann Glasco (softball), Molly Seidel (cross country) and Shelbi Vaughan (Track & Field) are the remaining finalists. The winner will be announced during a dinner, which will be emceed by ESPN personality Stuart Scott, in Hollywood July 10th.
The Gatorade Male and Female Athlete of the Year awards will be presented by Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III (2006-07 Gatorade Texas Boys Track & Field Athlete of the Year), seven-time NBA All-Star Alonzo Mourning (1987-88 Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year), four-time gold-medal winner Lisa Leslie (1989-90 Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year) and two-time Women’s World Cup Champion Brandi Chastain.
Fans can watch the event on ESPN3 at 9:15 p.m. EDT and the post-event interviews on USTREAM at approximately 11 p.m. EDT.
Here is Stewart’s resume (courtesy of Gatorade):
2011-12 Athletic Resume:
• Led the Northstars to a 23-3 record and a second straight New York State Public School AA Championship as well as New York’s Class AA Federation Tournament of Champions title
• Finished the season with 26.4 points per game, 14.2 rebounds per game, 3.2 assists, 4.2 blocks and 3.1 steals per game.
• Recorded a 56.7 field goal percentage, 22 double-doubles and 81.2% free throw percentage
• 2012 WBCA All-American
• 2011-12 Nike Tournament of Champions All-Tournament Team
Career Athletic Resume:
• Starter for the U-16, U-17 and U-19 Women’s National Teams
• Named to All-Tournament Team at the 2011 World Championships and won the Gold Medal
• Started for the 2011 Pan-American USA Team
• 2011 Top-ranked player, ESPNHS and Blue Star Report
• Two-time First Team All-State (2011 & 2012)
• Central New York Counties League Player of the Year (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
Academic and Community Service Resume:
• A- GPA
• Youth Basketball Instructor, YMCA
• Organizer, Star Leadership seminar C-NS High
• Instructor, North Syracuse Optimist Girls Basketball Program
• Volunteer at Youth Literacy-Outreach, March of Dimes, the Salvation Army, the Special Olympics, and Ronald McDonald House charities