Huskies Happy To Head Home After Two-Game Swing

A six-day trip to Orlando and Memphis came to end for the Huskies today following a 90-49 win over the Lady Tigers at FedEx Forum. Aside from earning a pair wins, it was not a customary getaway.

Flying commercial, UConn encountered travel problems that left them fatigued by week’s end.

“It’s been a long trip,’’ UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “We’ve been tired. We sat in the airport for six hours in Hartford (Monday). And then yesterday we were delayed again for a couple hours (in Orlando). We just got here last night. Except for a couple stretches here and there, I thought we did a pretty good job (today against Memphis). I thought everybody that played did a pretty good job. I’m happy with my team right now.

“I think the highlight was, as much as we travel and all the great places, I think they all got their picture taken at Waffle House. I think they went there for breakfast and that was the highlight of the trip. I’ll be happy to get home, for sure.’’

The Huskies were hit with a 10-second violation with 4:57 left in the first half today. The snafu began with an errant pass by Brianna Banks in the backcourt. Bria Hartley dove for the loose ball, rolled on her back and fed it to a teammate. Once Hartley got the ball back she never made it past midcourt in time.

“I was surprised,’’ Auriemma said. “That was the furthest thing from my mind. But probably looking back at the way it happened it did look like a Keystone Cops operation. You have three people on the floor and none of them wanted to know where the ball is and where it’s going. And then Bria did get it, it’s like `Da, Di, Da, Di, Da, I’ve got all day.’ So it’s just chalk it up another day.’’

Said Hartley: “We were kind of falling around. I didn’t really know it was going to be 10 seconds. I probably could’ve hustled it a little bit. It happens sometimes. We had a lot of problems where it was like loose balls with people falling out of bounds. That happens in games and it’s unfortunate. But you’ve got to be able to play through that.’’

The Huskies responded by scoring the final 15 points of the half to open a 50-23 lead at halftime.