Feds didn’t count 16,300 workers in Connecticut last year

|

Gov. Dannel Malloy gets to say one of the most satisfying phrases in the English language today, “I told you so.”

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has revised its estimates for Connecticut employment and found that it under counted new job creation by 16,300 in December, and that in fact, the state’s labor market was experiencing a modest expansion through the second half the year instead of the declines the BLS was reporting.

Malloy blasted the figures as defying logic when they first started showing declines last year and many economists agreed.

The biggest change came in August, where instead of suffering a 7.5 percent decline, Connecticut actually added 7.4 percent more jobs.

Also on Friday, BLS said Connecticut gained 4,700 jobs in January compared to December and total employment in the state was up by 9,300 compared to a year ago. The unemployment rate dipped to 8.1 percent. The U.S. rate was 7.9 percent.

If there is a troubling sign in the report that carried over from last year, it’s in the labor force numbers. In January, the number of people working or actively looking for a job in Connecticut fell by 4,400 compared to a month ago and was down 23,400 from a year ago. Reflecting some discouragement and potentially a loss in working age population.

Categories: Economy, Labor
Rob Varnon

Comments are closed.