A few thoughts on the Giants remarkable 38-31 loss to the likely NFC East champion Philadelphia Eagles:
- The Giants wake up this morning, as they did yesterday morning, as the #6 seed in the NFC playoff pecking order and still in control of their own destiny. That destiny now likely involves winning three straight on the road to reach Super Bowl XLV, but that’s been done before. The Giants destiny best not involve a trip to Philadelphia, because the playoff run will end then and there – bank on that.
- You were warned about Matt Dodge. Another dodgy punt by the rookie finished off the Giants, but there’s plenty of blame to go around.
- When the Giants were playing to win the game, it was 24-3 Giants. When they were playing not to lose it, it was 35-7 Eagles. How many times have we seen that scenario play out?
- Michael Vick is the most impressive athlete ever to play quarterback in the NFL. In the fourth quarter, he displayed the extra burst of speed he has been keeping in reserve since his injury against the Redskins, and the Giants had no answer. But if he gets hit when he’s moving at that clip, he’s out of the game and most likely off to the injury list.
- The Giants face an even more important game against the Packers Sunday at Lambeau Field. The Packers came close to taking out the red-hot Patriots on the road with a backup quarterback. Think about that until 4:15 Sunday – you know Tom Coughlin will.