Celtics Central

Boston Celtics

Note: The Connecticut Media Group is not responsible for posts and comments written by non-staff members.

Davis Deals Denied, Daniels Deal Delay

I said that Danny had one more player to pick-up (back up point guard). I could have been underestimating him.

To summarize recent Celtic news and to elaborate on some things that hit the internet the past few days….

Glen Davis is popular after all….and for much more than the minimum.

Davis aims for a payday

Davis aims for a payday

Marc Spears reported in the Globe that at least three teams made sign & trade offers that the Celtics weren’t interested in doing.  Those teams?  It didn’t say, but Utah, Detroit, Memphis, Dallas and Portland are five teams that could still be interested in Davis.

He also mentioned that an unnamed GM says that Big Baby will be among the next group of free agents that will be signed. In that group are Drew Gooden and Lamar Odom.

It makes sense. The biggies are quickly finding homes now. Glen could be a very nice pick up for someone as a solid bench player.

Ford Rumors

One rumor making the boards is that T.J. Ford could be included in the deal for Marquis Daniels to the Celtics. It is from no official source, so take it for what it is. But keep this in mind…something appears to be keeping the Daniels deal from completion.

A number of things are strange about Ford in that deal….

1) Ford makes $8.5 mil this season with a player option for the same amount next year.

2) He wants to be a starter, (or at least play 25-30 minutes a game).

3) That would mean moving $8 mil more in players, (trade exceptions?) from the Celtics…or a third team.

4) The Pacers wouldn’t have an experienced starting point guard (sometimes starter, newly acquired Earl Watson is the closest thing).

5) Ford seems to rub team mates the wrong way. He had problems in Toronto. He got into an altercation with Jarrette Jack last season.

6) Rondo is head strong, cocky and at times, moody or sensitive. Get where I’m going here?

Either this rumor is just blowing up a casual mention, or bigger things would have to happen for this to make sense.

What bigger things?

Purely conjecture (WAG), but it isn’t completely crazy to think that Ainge might actually deal Rondo, IF he has a solid starting point guard to replace him with. T.J. Ford qualifies. Though oft injured, Ford is a solid talent at PG when healthy.

I don’t see Rondo going to Indy, but Glen Davis might be a fit along with other expiring contracts to make it happen.

Beyond that, Danny benefits from a sign and trade versus just picking up Daniels with the Bi-Annual Exception so that he could use the BAE on a leftover talent that didn’t get in on the early money. Bargain basement pick-up, so to speak. Ike Diogu, Joe Smith, Sean May, etc.

Matt Barnes is still out there. He would be another option to guard long small forwards and he can hit the three. He is looking for more money, but if he doesn’t find it……(just in, Barnes might be signing with Orlando)

Red’s Army had a look at who might come to Boston in a S&T with Detroit with Pick a Piston. Spears said that they are still interested in Davis even though they just added Chris Wilcox to newly signed Charlie V.

Of the group, Jason Maxiell looks like the guy it would be, to me. The Pistons have already discovered Maxiell’s limitations. They are kind of the opposite of Glen’s. But both have their own set of strong and weak points. I think Davis would thrive there.

Former Cav assistant coach Kuester would be instituting a new defensive mind set with his new Piston roster, but he must know that the new Pistons are built to score, more than grind it out.

Rich McCosky of the Detroit News has it this way….

But president Joe Dumars’ vision for the next era of Pistons basketball has taken shape and here’s what it looks like: It’s young (average age 25), fast and athletic, a collection of highly skilled, offensive-oriented interchangeable parts, the core of which just now is reaching its prime.

He adds that defense will be important, so the Offense will be better and the new young team should get up and down the court more…

The days of holding teams below 90 points are over. But so are the days of slogging around in boring half-court sets and struggling to score 90 points. This new model of Detroit Basketball that Dumars has built is much more sleek and slick, and should go from zero to 100 much smoother than the old model.

That sounds perfect for Big Baby Davis. He is a very good open court player, and can work well with a moving offense. If Wilcox gets his minutes more at center, that gives Davis a solid opportunity to back up Charlie V….especially if Maxiell is the player in the S&T.

Maxiell would fit pretty well with the Celtics, more in a Leon Powe type role. I think that Baby is a better player, though.

Again, I’m just throwing these thoughts out there. Any better ideas? Let me know.

Anyway, it looks like Danny Ainge is working all possibilities and something new and surprising might come down.

It has been quite a mobile summer for free agents and trades so far. It isn’t over yet, either.

Thomas Halzack

1. JB says:

Sergio? I still think he’ll be a hit somewhere, but at least you haven’t been around long enough to read my odes to Khalid El-Amine and Pepe Sanchez. LOL

2. halzack says:

I’ve seen Maxiell play many times.

I hear your plea and you make a fair case.

The league is full of ‘astrologers’ trying to determine the best use of their players. I think you may even be one yourself if I recall something about a guard named Sergio in Portland.

The only focus that Davis had in the offense was to hit the open J, which he did at a pretty fair clip. Other than that, he had no role offensively.

In fact, it could be argued that it was his mandated role to provide “spacing” that inhibited his rebound numbers to a certain degree. Hard to rebound from “out there”, wouldn’t you say?

In saying that, I’ll admit that rebounding and defense are two areas needing attention. No argument there. I think you’ll see an improved Davis in those areas this season. Time will tell.

Your turn….

T

3. JB says:

“He is just not the player that Davis could end up being.”

Huh! Davis “could” be? Well that’s a pretty big word. What I’m saying is that Maxiel is better now. For what could be you’ll have to consult an astrologer. ;>)

Maxiel has a post game, can play defense, score on put backs, etc. I don’t think you watched those clips I sent you.

He’s never been the focus of the Piston’s offense like Davis was during the playoffs and I think you fail to recognize that Davis was virtually unguarded.

Anyway…. it’s your place here and I should let you get in the last word, so try once more…… LOL

4. halzack says:

Aaah. You picked the one thing that Maxiell does better. Doesn’t make the rest of the case, though.

I’ll take the guy who can run, pass, dribble and shoot….and has more upside.

Their names represent their potential…

Maxiell is at his max.

Baby is still growing into a better player.

I’m surprised you’ve fallen into the ‘athletic’ trap that so many do. There are different kinds if athleticism and Davis is more athletic and more skilled in more ways than Maxiell, IMO.

I didn’t mean that they’d have to get a better PG. They could go after other needs as well. Or try to get a young talented PG (Tyreke Evans?) and another solid player to boot.

But again, I like Maxiell, and would be happy to have him. He is just not the player that Davis could end up being.

5. JB says:

So… I’m voted off the island, eh? LOL

“I’m thinking that Rondo could go in a bigger deal for better talent elsewhere.”-”T”

As for trading Rondo….. sure, if you could get Wade, or C.P., or well, you get idea..you covered your back end pretty well….. ;>)

“Davis is actually a couple inches taller than Maxiell”-Ryan

This I find hard to believe, so I went looking for some video of them standing together and ran into this: http://armchairgm.wikia.com/Jason_Maxiell
    Which is a collage of Maxiel highlights, including of course his end to end gallop and block of Garnett’s dunk attempt. Davis couldn’t to that on a Harley Davidson with a ramp…. LOL

You talk about Maxiel’s limitations, but Davis has his own and while neither of them are worth 5 million…. for the estimated 3 mil it would take, I’ll take the guy who can run and jump…..

6. Ryan says:

Hey JB~

Davis is actually a couple inches taller than Maxiell, somewhere in the 6’5″ range. Baby’s at least 6’7″.

Maxiell has girth and hops, but no post up game and a streaky jump shot. He can rebound though..

I’d rather pay Baby 5 million a year than Maxiell…any day of the week.

7. halzack says:

And Davis listed as 6’9″

8. halzack says:

Let me add that Rondo for Ford would be suicide. It would be more like Davis and expiring contracts for Ford.

I’m thinking that Rondo could go in a bigger deal for better talent elsewhere.

Again, that’s just thinking out loud. I’d be as surprised as anyone if that happened.

9. halzack says:

JB lives!

No doubt that Rondo is a better player than Ford. But the addage that this team could win with a capable, but lesser point guard bears some truth.

Where Rondo would be missed most is his activity on defense, IMO.

Ford can drive and distribute quite capably. Rondo seemed to be the only guy making the big steal as the playoffs wore on.

I couldn’t disagree more about Davis and Maxiell. The grass is always greener…Detroit knows Maxiell’s limitations. We would find them out soon enough. It’s the Powe vs Baby argument all over again.

Baby does things that Max could never do…like dribble, pass and shoot. And Baby will add rebounding to his game this season, I predict. He will never be a shot blocker, I’ll grant you that.

Defensively, Maxiell has the same problem as Davis – length. And I don’t believe he is taller, either.

Saying that, I would take Maxiell for what he does do, which you so succinctly stated. Still a good player, but with his own limits.

T

10. JB says:

Ford is a 60 game per year, 30 minutes per game player, who shoots a little better than Rondo, but does not have the rebounding and defensive abilities. Ainge would be committing career suicide, me thinks.
    Remember the words of Pierce: “We knew Rondo wasn’t going anywhere.”
    I also dispute that Big Baby is a better player than Maxiel. I’d make that trade straight up any day of the week.
    Davis shined in the playoffs when the C’s were forced to use him and the defenses ignored him.
    Maxiel is a monster who actually rebounds and can block shots.
    They are both listed at 6’7″, but by my eye, Maxiel is at least two inches taller.
    Get a life… LOL!