Fresh off a controversial Boston bomber cover, Rolling Stone has just published a new feature on Aaron Hernandez that alleges, among other things, his heavy use of the drug Angel dust.
Rolling Stone previewed their story “Gangster in the Huddle” with a preview story showing five “revelations:”
• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.
• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates.
• Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.
• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.
• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.
• In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.
Do you believe Rolling Stone? Moreover the magazine is again courting controversy?