Welcome to Week 5, the midpoint of the 2011 high school football season.
And the big news of the day is, what else? Rain. Rain. And more rain. This is — what? — the third week of heavy rain forecasts already? (Check here for the latest)
So get ready for a few postponements tonight and possibly tomorrow as a front moves through our area. Notre Dame at Hand has already been moved to Saturday at 5 p.m. Masuk-Notre Dame to Saturday, 7. There will be others as we move closer to kickoff. So keep checking back here.
Of course, the big, big news of the week is the passing of Trumbull great Jerry McDougall, who will be on the minds of many this weekend, especially the Trumbull football players and coaches as they head to Darien.
Coach Bob Maffei, who was on McDougall’s football and baseball staff for almost 20 years, said the Eagles will wear stickers in McDougall’s honor and are dedicating this season to him. “We’re going to go out there and play our hearts out for him,” Maffei said. “I’m sure he’ll be watching. We’ll give him our best.”
Staples coach Marce Petroccio (Trumbull ’78) said the FCIAC will name the league’s championship trophy in McDougall’s honor. St. Joseph coach Joe Della Vecchia says the St. Joseph-Trumbull Thanksgiving Day trophy will be named in McDougall’s honor.
Finally, memorial services have been set: Calling hours are Sunday, 1 – 7 p.m. at Cyril F. Mullins Funeral Home (399 White Plains Rd. Trumbull). The funeral will be Monday, St. Theresa Church 5301 Main Street Trumbull, CT.
“I remember when he retired, there were so many testimonials. I was proud of every single one of his testimonials, but I joked with him, I was sick of talking about him,” said best friend Dick Whitcomb, who will read the eulogy. “He whispered to me the other night, he wanted his funeral to be about his life, not his death. That’s what I’m going to do. This will be like one of his testimonials. Like the old days.”
Now. On to the games!
Postponements: Notre Dame-WH at Hand, Saturday, 5 p.m. | Notre Dame-Fairfield at Masuk, Saturday, 7 p.m.
- Norwalk has somehing to prove vs New Canaan
- FCIAC Notebook: Ridgefield’s defense a pillar of strength
- Bullard-Havens faces Capital Prep in battle of unbeatens
- SWC Notebook: Pomperaug to face Bunnell without Reel; Tarantino at QB for Newtown
- Jerry McDougall, Trumbull and Connecticut coaching legend, dies at 76
- Sean Patrick Bowley: McDougall’s lessons will live forever
On The Air
- Guilford at Shelton, Friday, 7 p.m. — WELI 960-AM (960weli.com)
- Notre Dame-WH at Hand, Saturday, 5 p.m. — sportingnewsct.com or gogreenknights.com
- Ludlowe at Greenwich, Friday, 7 p.m. — WGCH 1490-AM (wgch.com)
- Torrington at Naugatuck, Friday, 7 p.m. – WATR 1320-AM (watr.com)
- New Canaan at Norwalk, Friday, 7 p.m. – WSTC 1400-AM / WNLK 1350-AM (wstcwnlk.com)
Week 5 Live Blog
<a href=”http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=0e4167a1bf” mce_href=”http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php/option=com_mobile/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=0e4167a1bf” >High School Football Live Scoring Updates</a>