Ah, a brand-spankin’-new high school football season finally has kicked off.
It’s a new season: A time for new names, new stars, new personalities, new teams, new contenders, new storylines. It’s a time to reacquaint ourselves with some of our favorite players as they perform incredible new feats to widen our eyes and get our jaws flapping.
Couldn’t you feel it as you headed to your Friday night game? The excitement of a fresh start? Everybody was 0-0. Everybody had a chance.
Then the scores started rolling in.
And everything was… er …oddly familiar.
St. Joseph was in a dog fight with Staples before losing late. …Greenwich, without starting quarterback Liam O’Neil, was handling Ridgefield. …Wilton needed a late touchdown to defeat Central in a shootout. …Bunnell and Bethel were battling back and forth. …Masuk was destroying somebody. …Arkeel Newsome was blitzing Torrington with long touchdown runs. …Xavier was blitzing poor Notre Dame-West Haven.
Deja vu, man.
Did we hit the rewind button on 2011? Did we take our Wayback Machines, drive our Deloreans to the games?
Didn’t we just DO this???
It certainly felt like it.
Sure, not every game followed the 2011 script.
Cheshire beat Shelton this time. As eerily similar as the Bethel-Bunnell game was to 2011, this time Bunnell won the shootout. And SCC Division II Branford, which struggled a year ago, sent a warning shot across the FCIAC bow by rattling Trumbull. Fairfield Prep was taking knees to avoid going over the 50-point policy vs. Wilbur Cross.
So maybe there’s hope that we won’t be witnessing 2011 II – The Yawning. In fact, we guarantee we won’t.
I know we go through this rigamarole every season, but so far the sequel looks like a dud.
Still some games to play this Saturday. We still get to see what teams like Stamford, Harding, Trinity Catholic, Westhill, Brookfield, Stratford, Derby, Oxford, Weston, Notre Dame-Fairfield and Immaculate are looking like.
Follow the live blog on the previous post. Let’s hope for some unexpected results, yea?
About Last Night
- FCIAC: New Canaan 42, Bassick 16 | McMahon 33, Fairfield Warde 28 | Darien 41, Fairfield Ludlowe 7 | Greenwich 20, Ridgefield 7 | Norwalk 16, Danbury 6 | Staples 49, St. Joseph 28 | Wilton 35, Central 28 |
- NVL: Ansonia 66, Torrington 26
- SCC: Fairfield Prep 47, Wilbur Cross 0 | Cheshire 30, Shelton 23 | Hand 35, Amity 13 | East Haven 28, Lyman Hall 27 | North Haven 28, Guilford 0 | Sheehan 45, Jonathan Law 42 | West Haven 45, Hamden 6 (NH Register) | Xavier 44, Notre Dame-West Haven 0|
- SWC: Bunnell 44, Bethel 35 | Masuk 47, Pomperaug 10 | Newtown 21, New Milford 7 | Barlow 34, New Fairfield 14
- CSC: Platt Tech 24, Cheney Tech 14
- OTHERS: Branford 31, Trumbull 13 | Seymour 43, Whitney Tech 6
- Connecticut Post roundup
- Friday’s RESULTS & Saturday’s SCHEDULE |