Sacred Heart receiver David Coggins has de-commited from Boston College, according to a report in ESPN-Boston on Wednesday evening.
Coggins, who has made news recently for being embroiled in a recruiting scandal that ended with him receiving a four-game suspension from the CIAC, told the website he was rescinding his verbal commitment because, “I wanted to keep my options open and see what else is out there,” he said.
Coggins told ESPN-Boston Temple and Illinois are now in the mix along with Boston College. He also has an offer from Central Connecticut State.
“BC isn’t out of the picture,” Coggins told ESPN-Boston. “I’m hoping more schools call after the season.
The senior, who has caught 139 passes for 2,256 yards and 17 touchdowns, hasn’t played since his sophomore year. He broke his ankle in last year’s preseason.
An independent investigation found Naugatuck coach Rob Plasky violated CIAC rules by giving $1,000 to Coggins’ guardian Meme Martin in an effort to help Coggins transfer to Naguatuck. Plasky resigned immediately after the allegations were revealed in August.
On Sept. 20, the CIAC hit Naugatuck with a $7,500 fine and probation. It suspended Coggins and teammates Javon Martin and Xavier Woods four games apiece. They will be eligible to return for Sacred Heart on Oct. 12 when the team plays Crosby.
“I didn’t know my legal guardian took the money,” Coggins told ESPN-Boston. “I wanted to transfer because I couldn’t afford Sacred Heart. Some of that money was for tuition [past due]. Now I have my tuition [reduced].”