Jeez, kids. What got into your pregame pasta dinners this week?
As the scores rolled across our ticker Friday night, it was blowout, after blowout, after blowout.
“Look at all these points being scored,” WELI’s George DeMaio cooed as the night’s action was read to him on his Friday night broadcast. “Unbelievable.”
They came in all shapes in sizes. They developed in a variety of ways.
You had supernovas, like Hillhouse scoring 27 points in the first quarter in a 47-0 win over Law, or Masuk hammering Bunnell with a 28-point second quarter in its 63-14 victory.
You had rolling thunderstorms like Barlow’s 40-6 win over Stratford, in which the Falcons hammered away with three-consecutive 20-point quarters.
You shootout blowouts, like Amity’s 61-43 victory over Guilford, where the teams trade scores until one of them finally asserts its offensive dominance.
You had see-saw blowouts, like Greenwich’s 62-31 victory over Trumbull. The Cards took a 42-0 lead in the first half. Then Trumbull went into blowout mode, outscoring Greenwich 25-7 to make it a 48-25 game in the third quarter before Greenwich turned on the jets again in a 62-31 win.
And there were shocking blowouts, like Fairfield Prep’s 42-3 victory over Shelton. Well, that one was shocking to everybody who isn’t a Fairfield Prep fan. Yes, we know you believe Prep is good. But I think that result really jarred the rest of us. Now we’re convinced. Welcome back.Anyway, blowouts, blowouts, blowouts ruled in Week 4.
Except in Fairfield where Warde defeated Bassick in a contentious and controversial 29-28 victory. Connor McGuinness kicked a 20-yard field goal with 4 seconds left to give the Mustangs the victory.
But was it legit? Reports say Warde was tackled in-bounds with approximately 7 seconds remaining and no timeouts. Apparently the clock didn’t run, which allowed the Mustangs to set up for McGuinness’ field goal.
Bassick coach Derrick Lewis said late Saturday he would protest the result to the FCIAC and CIAC on Monday. “My kids are crushed,” he said in a text message. “That game was ours.”
Here are the results and links from Friday night’s regional games:
- CSC: Bullard Havens Tech 48, Cheney Tech 12 | Platt Tech 53, Whitney Tech 8*
- FCIAC: Fairfield Warde 29, Bassick 28 | Greenwich 62, Trumbull 31 | Ridgefield 49, Wilton 14 | New Canaan 38, McMahon 14
- NVL: Derby 53, Wilby 14 | Watertown 42, Crosby 6 | Wolcott 48, Seymour 19 | Woodland 47, Kennedy 0 | Ansonia 35, Holy Cross 7 *
- SCC: Hand 49, Wilbur Cross 14 | Cheshire 48, Notre Dame-West Haven 13 | Fairfield Prep 42, Shelton 3 | Xavier 49, Hamden 6 | Foran 45, East Haven 8* | Hillhouse 47, Law 0* | Branford 43, Lyman Hall 12 | Amity 61, Guilford 43 * | West Haven 48, Sheehan 12
- SWC: Pomperaug 35, New Milford 7 | Barlow 40, Stratford 6* | Masuk 63, Bunnell 14 | Newtown 35, Brookfield 7
- NON-LEAGUE: North Haven 34, New London 20
* Games summaries included in Friday night’s high school football roundup.
Light schedule for Saturday. Check here for the statewide scores and Saturday’s results.