Nearly five quarters and eight days ago, Xavier trailed Hillhouse 49-21. Despair and defeat dripped from their facemasks.
Let’s check in with the Falcons now, shall we?
Lessee, they scored four touchdowns in four possessions in the fourth quarter to shock Hillhouse, 50-49.
They added four more touchdowns in five possessions in the first half against Shelton. Then they tacked on four more touchdowns and — and — added a field goal that bounced off the crossbar and in for the final points of a 59-17 victory.
So that’s 12 touchdowns and a field goal in five quarters.
In the age of ‘Score Management,’ no less.
Yipes. Welcome back to the living, Xavier.
The Falcons, who are still banged up a big on defense (and, believe it or not, it showed vs. Shelton), are fine and dandy on the offensive end, thank you. They’ve scored 50-or-more points in three straight games and are 7-1, looking good in the Class LL playoff race with a showdown with West Haven next week.
Shelton barely laid a finger on back DeAngelo Berry, who touched the ball just 11 times and scampered for over 200 yards and four touchdowns. They rarely touched quarterback Tim Boyle, who was 10-for-10 for another 200-or-so yards.
So now the showdown for one of the Class LL playoff spots is ready to rock for Week 9. West Haven vs. Xavier. Let’s get ready to rock.
Once again, a very slow night here in Shangri-La since the SWC and FCIAC have pushed their games due to the aftereffects of Superstorm Sandy. But it was busy up north.
Here’s what went down:
Woodland (6-1) hammered reeling Holy Cross 28-0 to claim the second and final NVL Championship berth.
Awright! So get excited for Woodland-Ansonia II, kids! The Hawks will face the Chargers in the title game Nov. 15 at Municipal Stadium. Ansonia defeated Woodland 47-16 in Week 2.
(Remind me: Why are we doing this again?)
West Haven crushed Wilbur Cross 47-12 to set up their Xavier showdown next Friday (see above). Cheshire dismantled East Haven.
Up-and-outward, Fitch toppled New London 39-27 in a big victory that improved its profile in Class L. New London dropped back a bit in Class M.
Southington rallied back from an early deficit vs. Simsbury and then used a big second half to win 35-14. Stephen Barmore threw four touchdown passes and Southington scored 28 unanswered points over the final three quarters.
Middletown nipped Farmington 14-6 in a big game with Class L playoff ramifications. The Dragons climbed to No. 5 and, in the process, knocked Farmington (6-2) to No. 9, just below the cutoff.
Here are the ever-changing CIAC playoff standings. Uber-freelancer Kyle Brennan of the NVL Football Blog and the Rep-Am has calculated our first state playoff clinchers: Ansonia (Class S), Windsor (Class L) and Avon (Class L) are all in. We’ll wait for Polecat HQ to confirm. Polecat has confirmed.
We’ll let the boys have their fun. We’re not touching playoff scenarios until next week.
- SCC: West Haven 47, Wilbur Cross 12 | Xavier 59, Shelton 17 | Cheshire 39, East Haven 0
- NVL: Torrington 67, Kennedy 36 | St. Paul 48, Sacred Heart 36 | Woodland 28, Holy Cross 0 | Naugatuck 52, Watertown 14
- CSC: Abbott Tech 28, Whitney Tech 8 | Platt Tech 47, Wilcox Tech 26
- CCC: Southington 35, Simsbury 14 | Wethersfield 35, RHAM 14 | Hartford Public 37, Bulkeley 0 | Middletown 14, Farmington 6 | Bloomfield 41, Weaver 0 | Hall 40, Newington 18 | Northwest Catholic 36, Bristol Eastern 7 | Tolland 32, East Catholic 22
- ECC: Fitch 39, New London 27 | Montville 35, Stonington 27
- PEQUOT: North Branford 41, Coginchaug 0 | Valley Regional/Old Lyme 41, Lewis Mills 7 | SMSA/University 29, Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby 16 | Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton 36, Housatonic/Wamogo 7 | Gilbert/NW Regional 37, Granby Memorial 0
Yes, there are games today. We’ll be down in Woodmont to see if Foran and its band of merry sophomores can knock North Haven out to pasture.
- ECC: Woodstock Academy at East Lyme, 2 p.m.
- PEQUOT: Morgan at Nonnewaug, 2 p.m.
- SCC: North Haven at Foran, 4 p.m. | Law at Guilford, 4 p.m.