Connecticut High School Football

High School Football news, analysis, commentary and features from the reporters of the Hearst Connecticut Media Group.

Weather causes state quarterfinal postponements [Updated: 12:51]

We thought this would happen.

With a bout of rain and snow beginning to hit the region, a few state quarterfinal games have already been postponed until Wednesday.

TWELVE of the 16 games have been ppd. as of 12:51, pushing all but one of the semifinal games to Sunday, Dec. 12 at TBA.

Click here to see the CIAC’s live schedule page.

Quarterfinal preview capsules: CLASS LL | CLASS L | CLASS M | CLASS S

CLASS LL

Quarterfinals

• No. 7 Glastonbury at No. 2 Southington, ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 5 Norwich Free Academy at No. 4 Newtown, ppd to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 6 Greenwich at No. 3 Xavier (at Palmer field), ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.

Still on:

• No. 8 West Haven at No. 1 Staples, 6:30

Semifinals

• Both semifinals ppd. to Sunday, Dec. 2 at TBA

CLASS L

Quarterfinals

• No. 7 Fitch at No. 2 Windsor, ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 8 Platt at No. 1 Hand (at the Surf Club), ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 5 Middletown vs. No. 4 Masuk (at Bunnell), ppd to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 6 New Canaan vs. No. 3 Avon (at Simsbury), ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.

Semifinals

• Both semifinals ppd. to Sunday, Dec. 2 at TBA

CLASS M

Quarterfinals

• No. 8 Montville at No. 1 Wolcott, ppd to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 6 Weston vs No. 3 Ellington/Somers (at Enfield), ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.

Still on:

• No. 7 Bullard-Havens at no. 2 Berlin, 6:30
  • No. 5 St. Joseph vs. No. 4 Hillhouse (at East Haven), 6:30

Semifinals

• Both semifinals ppd. to Sunday, Dec. 2 at TBA

CLASS S

Quarterfinals

• No. 7 Woodland at No. 2 Capital Prep/Classical, ppd to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
  • No. 6 Trinity Catholic at No. 3 North Branford, ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. AT GUILFORD
  • No. 8 Prince Tech at No. 1 Ansonia, ppd. to Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.

Still on:

• No. 5 Hyde at No. 4 Rocky Hill, 6:30

Semifinals

• Both semifinals ppd. to Sunday, at TBA.

SEMIFINALS – Saturday, Dec. 1-2

at Bunnell, 2 p.m.
at Cheshire, 2 p.m.
at CCSU, 2 p.m.
at Falcon Field, Meriden, 2 p.m.
at Middletown, 2 p.m.
at Trumbull, 2 p.m.
at West Haven, 2 and 7 p.m.

FINALS at RENTSCHLER FIELD, EAST HARTFORD

at Friday, Dec. 7 – Game at 7 p.m.
at Saturday, Dec. 8 – Games at 10:30, 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Sean Patrick Bowley

1. PapaDags says:

Great tweets all morning SPB, this is why , in my opinion you are tops when it comes to HS Football…If half the games are cancelled at 11:36 am then why postpone them all and play tomorrow and Sunday…Makes all the sense in the world…I could see if only 1,2, or 3 games were cancelled…I’m quite sure by noon the CIAC will step in and do just that…Then again, they may not, thinking once again of money…Now we could actually see 2 games (tonight and tomorrow). That would suit me fine but not in the best interest of the athletes, or the parody of the playoffs as you mentioned…great point…Keep it up Sean, you are the first article I read every morning…

2. PapaDags says:

Correction to my above misprint…..then why “NOT” postpone them all…etc..etc…etc…

3. SJ Alum says:

I’m thinking we should scratch the Malloy Bus route and build a Dome instead!

4. High School FB Fan says:

What a joke…why do we even have the CIAC if when they need to step up and make a call, they just sit around and do NOTHING!!!! Not fair to the teams who called it off…should of been all or nothing.

5. R-MAC says:

This is to be expected, personally I won’t be attending any games during the work week. Tuesday nite or Wednesday nite , with the rush hour traffic and having to be at work early its not for me. Highschool football is best played on Friday night or Saturday morning. That’s my opinion and that’s the way I like it. God forbid if we play football in football weather in this state. I hope Xavier, Hand, Masuk, Staples, and Ansonia all get upset !

6. fciac fan says:

Should be all postponed-or NONE !.Big advantage for teams who play today and have extra day to recover for semifinals. Typical C.I.A.C

7. PapaDags says:

@ HS FB fan, couldn’t agree more….they are a JOKE!! interested more in double admission tonight and Wed…and R-Mac..can’t see any of those upsets in Rd 1, possibly the only one’s in my opinion could be Masuk by Middletown or Xavier by Greenwich..by don’t think so..and if you somehow possibly BELIEVE Ansonia COULD be upset, I’ll pay for your psychiatric evaluation!! lol

8. Brian says:

The day’s rest is the key cog here not the extra day to prepare. How do u even know who to prepare for? After Staples stomps the Westies tonight do they spend tomorrow afternoon watching film of both NFA AND Newtown? My gut tells me they already did this anyway. The days rest is the big argument here.

Sunday Semi’s will suck. 8 different day game sites I bet.

9. Dylan says:

Why do people think Xavier is vulnerable? Their defense is back with a vengeance and teams are not going to put a lot of points on the board against them. Unless Xavier just turns the ball over at a record clip, I don’t see an upset looming…anywhere

10. High School FB Fan says:

@Brian…agreed, the extra day rest AND the ability to go and scout a game on Wednesday are huge advantages. They can practice on Thursday, while other teams maybe scrambling to put a game plan together and rest the kids after a game.

11. Dave Lib says:

Forgive me if I sound too “manly” or whatever…….but this is FOOTBALL, correct? The elements are the beauty of the game. Why do we have all these state-of-the-art Field Turfs, and then NOT use them? Isn’t that what they are for? Maybe (just maybe) I can see postponing a game on a grass field tonight that is in horrendous condition. However, there is No GOOD REASON to postpone a game which is scheduled to be played on turf.
    This is Connecticut….not South Carolina. we arer SUPPOSED to get bad weather in November. That’s not going top change. I’m sick of these games being postponed. Our state (and The CIAC and its member schools) should be used to and prepared for bad weather.
    As a teacher, it drives me nuts when they cancel school when we get three inches of snow. (I do, however, like the delayed openings!) This is Connecticut….snow, sleat, cold, and rain are going to happen. Schools need to changhe theit thinking…..UNLESS getting the players to the game sites is deemed DANGEROUS. That’s entirely different. But, seriously, is it truly DANGEROUS anywhere in our state tonight?

12. R-MAC says:

I have not lost my marbles yet papa , I know those upsets are highly unlikely. That is the reason I would welcome it. All those schools have awesome football programs. I wanna see things shaken up a bit in the CIAC, power to the underdog ! Too much of the same schools in the playoffs again. It’s so predictable. At least Staples will have a game tonight and same with Berlin, which both favorites will win of course. Cmon Bullards beating Berlin or Staples losing at home to Westies, they looked so bad playing Xavier.

13. unbelievable says:

How can the CIAC allow teams an advantage by playing today instead of tomorrow? What is the CIAC’s job exactly because they don’t do squat. They didn’t step in during the 50 point rule violation a couple weeks ago and now teams will get an advantage by having an extra day of rest? Come on CIAC, GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!! 3/4 of the games are postponed, so POSTPONE THEM ALL! The CIAC is an absolute JOKE. Another reason for people to laugh at CT football, 50 point rule, now this. UNBELIEVABLE!

14. Xhs says:

Xavier didn’t want to cancel Greenwich did. School was let out early due to the weather. Snow barely on the ground in Middletown.

15. Dave Lib says:

gym teacher…didn’t spell check! LOL. Sorry for the typos. Short on time!

16. Brian says:

with 12 of the 16 postponed I am a little shocked the powers are letting the other 4 play tonight. With that said, its good for me!

I am going to try to hit the Staples game tonight and head up to watch Greenwich tomorrow.

17. GHS1973 says:

@Xhs…Dave Ruden (of the CT Post) tweeted 3 hours ago:

“by the way, all postponements are made by the host schools, not the CIAC”…

I trust he knows what he’s talking about, since he gets paid to know…I can’t see Greenwich wanting to postpone the game against X, anyway…I would think lousy field conditions would be to their advantage, but I could be wrong..

18. PapaDags says:

@R-Mac, certainly just playing with you with my sarcasm, agree with your points,,now for the real question….what’s your take on St Joe and Hillhouse tonight…..Mine?? rooting for St j, but honestly feel Hillhouse will win by 1-2 scores in a HIGH scoring game….

19. Paniro says:

XHS- Work for Greenwich schools system. Greenwich schools did not get out early. Nothing but rain here. Not saying they didn’t ask for the postponement but it wasn’t because school got out early.

20. Brian says:

I just talked to one of the parents of a GHS player (who I work with). He is only a 10th grader but he was told that the Xavier AD called and asked for an opinion on what they should do and both agreed to move it due to icy conditions later this evening. That’s the story I got anyway. Sounds reasonable enough to believe I guess.

21. mooncake says:

Hey @Brian #16: You and me both. This partial cancellation is a godsend for CT football fans. Take advantage of it…either Staples or Hillhouse tonight, then take your pick tomorrow.

22. Brian says:

I think Joes wins a shootout. Passing game of Joes takes a hit though in this weather.

23. jeb says:

The teams that postponed should not complain about those teams that choose to play in the elements. I give the teams that are playing tonight all the credit in the world…Now I can see a game tonight and a game tomorrow night. College teams do it right…they never postpone under any weather conditions.

24. I don’t fault any school district for pushing their games, what with uncertain road conditions as the temperature plummets. These days, school districts have to err on the side of caution to make sure nothing goes wrong. If I’m a super, it’s a no-brainer.

This has nothing to do with playing in rain/snow or whatever.

I do wonder why the CIAC just didn’t tell everyone to go Wednesday. That makes the most sense to me.

25. Jake says:

Regarding the Xavier postponement – X may not have complete control over postponing games, because they don’t actually own the field they play on? Whoever is in charge of Palmer, I think, can make decisions concerning their field, and Xavier may be able to pressure them, but in the end it’s not their decision. Again, not 100% on that, and I could be way off, but it may be what happened. It’s all about the field being potentially destroyed.

26. Xhs says:

Spoke to tony jaskot myself (Xavier AD) believe what you guys want. That being said it is better for the safety not only of the players but anyone making the hour trip. Great job by CIAC in moving games to Sunday all kids could use the rest. Poor job on playing some not others. Good luck to everyone tonight!

27. louison says:

a team like Weston has to travel roughly 2 hours to get to ellington/somers. i knew a cancellation would occur there.

28. jeb says:

DEAR XHS…Don’t play football if you are worried about the safety of the players. Tell me how it’s unsafe to play in the rain. I’m waiting for anyone to make a good point why one shouldn’t play in the rain.

29. Brian says:

I think XHS meant about the driving aspect not the playing field. Easy Jeb, NC plays tomorrow so don’t get to fired up tonight lol

30. kris1 says:

Some of the postponement could have nothing to do with the fields. Some schools had early dismissal. Some town had more accumulation then others. My town has nothing, but the town I work in had 2-3 inches. I believe it has more to do with travel then anything else.

31. GHS1973 says:

@jeb…I agree about playing in all elements, except lightning…But, I can also see the point about traveling on roads that could freeze over with black ice after the game…

32. Xhs says:

Jeb, not playing in the elements getting to the game. Man are u thick!

33. Bubba says:

Hey Jeb: I know I have a red-neck name too, but are you really that stupid? Road conditions and the potential for accidents on the road are part of the decision making process with regards to postponements and cancellations. Read the post from XHS and might get it, duh.

34. Hasbeen says:

I’m pulling my hair out reading how ignorant some of these comments are. The CIAC should have cancelled all games if they cancelled more than half. They are giving another days rest to the teams that are playing today which is a huge factor when you have to play 3 games in 12 days if you go to the Championship. Very unfair!

Also how dumb could you be if you don’t understand that it will ice up later tonight. Its not that the kids are afraid to play in the rain. They all want to play ,they are kids in their prime for God sake! Its probably gonna ice up later. No one wants to hear about someone getting killed or hurt from getting into an accident on their way home from the game. Wednesday’s forecast is for clear skies . C’mon man!

35. Bubba says:

Hillhouse 28-17 over St. Joe’s put it in the book.

36. NorthernPride says:

This is the perfect example why the season is too long. New York is already done with states. Ct is rediculous, it’s hockey season, look outside

37. SWC fan says:

So what does the CIAC really do then?? Unfair advantage to all the teams that played last night.

38. jeb says:

I was wrong..I thought XHS was worried about the safety of the players playing in the rain. After re-reading his post he mentioned the weather coditions of those going to the game.

Hey BUBBA, Give me some love….you jumped all over me. That being said I enjoy your posts and everyone elses on this blog.

%d bloggers like this: