Connecticut High School Football

High School Football news, analysis, commentary and features from the reporters of the Hearst Connecticut Media Group.

Thanksgiving: It’s a wrap

What a great day of football Thanksgiving in Southwest Connecticut turned out to be. From Prep’s comeback win to clinch a playoff berth to Darien’s dramatic win over No. 1 New Canaan to Bethel beating Brookfield to reach the Class M playoffs, it was an exciting day of football.

FCIAC

McMahon 35, Norwalk 14: Senators win behind stout defense, big fourth quarter.

Wilton 26, Trinity Catholic 7: QB Brett Phillips and Co. go out winners.

Darien 28, New Canaan 24: Griffin Ross breaks up pass in the end zone on game’s final play to seal the Blue Wave’s comeback win over the No. 1 Rams.

Greenwich 27, Staples 7: Austin Longi rushes for 224 yards and three touchdowns as Cardinals end four-game slide against Wreckers.

Warde 44, Ludlowe 20: T.J. Gallagher rushes for Fairfield record 313 yards and five touchdowns as Mustangs surprise town rival Falcons.

Westhill 40, Stamford 0: Vikings clinch city championship, winning season in a game marred by ugly fourth-quarter brawl that ended the game with over nine minutes to go.

St. Joseph 61, Trumbull 26: Cadets rebound from loss in FCIAC final by drubbing their town rivals behind Mufasha Abdul Basir’s 241 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Shane Miller scored four touchdowns for St. Joseph as well.

Central 28, Harding 20: Hilltoppers win their 15th straight over Presidents in 92nd meeting between the schools.

NVL

Ansonia 66, Naugatuck 28: UConn-bound Arkeel Newsome rushes for career-high 406 yards and seven touchdowns in Chargers’ latest romp.

SCC

Fairfield Prep 29, West Haven 20: Jesuits clinch first playoff berth since 2006 with dramatic win. QB Colton Smith rushes for 297 yards.

Foran 50, Law 7: Lead by Anthony Kopatch, Lions defense stifles Lawmen.

SWC

Bethel 20, Brookfield 0: Wildcats clinch spot in Class M playoffs behind Piatnek brothers.

Barlow 46, Weston 14: Jack Shaban rushes for 192 yards and three touchdowns as Falcons finally get past Trojans.

Bunnell 12, Stratford 10:  Sophomore QB Adam Wojenski comes off the bench to fuel Bulldogs’ come-from-behind win.

REGIONAL

Shelton 56, Derby 20: Gaels’ QB Mark Piccirillo rips Red Raiders for  for 137 yards and three touchdowns, plus 148 yards through the air on 6-of-12 and two more scores.

Chris McNamee

1. GHS Fan says:

Where’s the coverage of NC – Darien? Biggest HS football story of the year! One line blended in with 8 other games? I did click through to the story, and there was not a lot more detail there eiher.
    Darein mounted a “comeback” win? How?
    How many people at game? What weird penalties were called agains NC in final seconds of game?
    The bias against FCIAC from this news outlet is really really blatant.
    Also it will prove embarrassing to the dorks voting in the polls. Clearly they are going to put Ansonia at number one, even though Ansonia never played, let alone defeated anyone in the top 20.

2. GHS Fan says:

Searched around and found a report on the game that said the zebra’s kept Darien’s comeback touchdown drive going with a 4th down “roughing the passer” call.
    I bet $20 that if we watch the game, we can see the exact same incident occur at least 5 times in the game with no call.
    Look, I got no dog in the hunt here, other than seeing the best team get crowned #1. Ansonia is going to get #1 by default, and the fact that the stupid voters seem impervious to logic.
    Anybody know where I can watch the game? Can’t find it on MSG.

3. GHS Fan says:

Thanks JB.

Saw the play. It was a late hit on the QB. Guess I’ll eat a little crow with my turkey leftovers.

4. knows fciac says:

darien is a very good team with a great line. also, they have one of the best fciac coaches. would love to see a rematch with nc which i think is very likely. you really can’t knock ansonia. they play who they’re supposed to play. i heard they are very big upfront and the rb is the real deal. heard this from a long-time very successful coach. will be very interesting to see how newtown does. state weak at LL level. why is that???

5. GHS Fan says:

knows fciac –

Agree on your Darien comments.

I knock Ansonia because they don’t play anyone in the top ten all season, but get boosted to #1 by the sportswriters. That sort of treatment encourages teams to go play weak teams and get easy wins – which ultimately weakens Connecticut football. I would rather the sportswriters knocked Ansonia down to 7 or 8, and said – “If you beat a quality opponenet, or even prove you can hang with them (for example a NJ or Long Island team), THEN you move up in the polls.” I understand the NVL won’t allow interconference play.
    Why are LL weak? Good question. It defies logic. I will speculate that maybe NC, Darien and St. Joe’s are just making everyonelook bad?

6. anotherfan says:

@GHS..When will learn that the NVL ain’t that bad as you only believe and don’t give me the crap about Max Preps cuz they are jokers.

7. GHS Fan says:

anotherfan
    I am happy to discuss. Does NVL have anybody in any of the other playoff brackets, or is Ansonia the sole remaining representative in 2013? I really do not know. Does NVL have histroical precedence of state champions in other brackets?
    I stand by the contention that FCIAC and SCC are the better leagues in Connecticut, and are followed closely by SWC. Pretty sure I can point to historical precedent on this, as well as the results of the playoffs thus far this year.
    Happy to admit I am wrong, but I would like emperical evidence first, not a bunch of straw man attacks on my data. You and RAY RAY can work together.

8. RAY BROWN says:

yes woodland in S—–THE NVL ALSO HAS WON TITLES in LL ,M,
    and a few years back had top two teams in state—ansonia,holy cross—–i think that was year that greenwich went to florida and made fools of themselves.happy to help

9. GHS Fan says:

So the current state of NVL football is that the NVL has two teams in the state playoffs, both in “S”. That’s it? And “a few years back” had “two top teams” (still awaiting citation.) Ever heard the expression “Damned by faint praise”? I am sure it is over RAY RAYs head, but people outside the NVL will know what I mean.

%d bloggers like this: