First thing’s first.
RAIN? WHAT RAIN? Some of you athletic directors and coaches have to ease your fingers off the button and slowly back away from your telephones.
There were a few drops Friday night, but nothing really past kickoff. Yet just hours before many games were postponed. (The SCC almost went whole hog on postponing games. And we thought you guys were tough). Schools with turf fields have no excuse.
I’m not the only one angry. Cue Mr. Polecat.
Second, I did a silly thing on Friday night.
While Staples was making Trumbull uncomfortably numb with a deluge of points, I hopped into the car, pointed the compass north and jetted up route 53, to 7, to 39 and inexorably to New Fairfield. I had to see Tyler Hassett and Weston. I had to see New Fairfield and back Joe Pacheco. It was only 21-14 Rebels at halftime.
The iPhone said 1 hour, 3 minutes.
I made it in 45.
…or at least would have made it in 45 had the dumb map not dropped me onto a road spur that goes near New Fairfield High School, not into it. (Yes, this was my first time at Rebels Stadium.)
So I had to backtrack and wound up missing Pacheco’s clinching score, a short run that put New Fairfield up 35-14 with just over 9 minutes remaining. No worries. I did get to see gorgeous Rebels Stadium and a couple scores, including Nick Guardi’s scamper for a touchdown. New Fairfield won 42-21.
So Weston’s miraculous five-week unbeaten run is over. New Fairfield celebrated a 4-2 record. Weston slinked away 5-1.
And now there are three unbeaten teams left in the SWC.
Miraculously, one of them is Barlow, which moved to 6-0 for the first time in school history by rallying past Bunnell, 28-14. This is the Falcon’s best start in Rob Tynan’s 22 head-coaching career. It’s the best start since the 1974′s team began 9-0 under coach Gary Engler. (hat tip to high school football historian Bob Barton for correcting me and providing the correct information.)
Elsewhere, in the FCIAC, Staples finished off Trumbull 57-14 and moved to 5-0.
In the NVL, Derby proved no match for Wolcott. The Red Raiders will likely have to settle on a getting that winning season. Wolcott faces Watertown in a prep before its — ahem — big game vs. Ansonia in Week 8.
And, finally, in the SCC, Wilbur Cross put a huge scare into Cheshire — up 21-6 at halftime! — before succumbing to a fierce Cheshire rally, 28-23.
Anyway, that’s the news from Shangri La. Below is the scoreboard and the schedules for today.
There are few huge games. Two, unfortunately, are going on almost at the same time: West Haven at Hand at 1 p.m., then New Canaan at St. Joseph at 2:30. Later tonight, we’ll see Masuk travel to Brookfield for another SWC showdown.
(Believe it or not, this will be my fourth time seeing Brookfield… My first seeing Masuk outside of a scrimmage.)
More excitement in store today. Follow the live blog for all your updates. Let the good times roll.
- CCC: Simsbury 21, Hall 14 | Windsor 40, Middletown 35 | Platt 30, Tolland 19 | Berlin 47, Rockville 0 | East Catholic 56, Weaver 26 | Northwest Catholic 20, Plainville 0
- CSC: Putnam/Tourtellotte/Ellis Tech 38, Abbott Tech 22
- ECC: Montville 54, Waterford 20 | Stonington 47, St. Bernard/Norwich Tech 0 | New London 41, Plainfield 0 | Ledyard 48, East Lyme 7 | Griswold at Fitch (Ppd. to Sat., 7 p.m.)
- FCIAC: McMahon 27, Fairfield Ludlowe 7 | Ridgefield 46, Norwalk 13 | Darien 34, Wilton 7 | Staples 57, Trumbull 14
- NVL: Wolcott 41, Derby 7 | Wilby 52, St. Paul Catholic 50
- SCC: Cheshire 28, Wilbur Cross 23
- SWC: Barlow 28, Bunnell 14 | New Fairfield 42, Weston 21 | Pomperaug 42, Immaculate 0 | Oxford at New Milford (Ppd. to Mon., 6 p.m.)
- CCC: Manchester at Newington, noon | East Hartford at South Windsor, 1 | New Britain at Conard, 1 | Fermi at RHAM, 1 | Wethersfield at Hartford Public, 6:30 | Glastonbury at Southington, 7 |
- CSC: Bullard Havens Tech at Prince Tech, 11| Capital Prep at Platt Tech, 1 | Whitney Tech at Wolcott Tech, 1:30
- ECC: Windham at Bacon Academy, 10:30
- FCIAC: Fairfield Warde at Trinity Catholic, 2:30 | New Canaan at St. Joseph, 2:30 | Westhill at Danbury, 1:30 | Central at Greenwich, 2 | Bassick at Harding, 2:30 |
- NVL: Sacred Heart at Kennedy, 11
- PEQUOT: Coginchaug at Old Saybrook/Westbrook, 1 | Morgan at Cromwell, 1:30 p.m. | Hyde at Lewis Mills, 2 | Ellington/Somers at Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby, 1 | Enfield at Housatonic/Wamogo, 1 | Avon at Granby Memorial | Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton at Canton, 2 | Stafford/East Windsor at SMSA/University, 2
- SCC: Hamden at Fairfield Prep, 5 | North Haven at Sheehan, 6
- SWC: Notre Dame-Fairfield at Newtown, 3:30 | Masuk at Brookfield, 7
- OTHERS: Stamford at Norwich Free Academy, 1