The CIAC on Monday released the list of high school football programs holding spring practices this year.
Maybe this is a sign of the times or maybe it has to do with the enormous amount of football jobs that changed hands, but the numbers are dwindling.
Last season, there were 75 teams participating in spring practices. This season, there are just 64.
Eighty-two teams have opted to begin practices a week earlier in August.
Overall, 18 schools dropped spring practice while seven schools added spring practices, a net loss of 11 spring teams.
Of the 18 schools that dropped spring practice, eight of them have new coaches in 2013: Ludlowe, Masuk, Torrington, Maloney, Rockville, Bacon Academy, East Lyme, Ellington/Somers.
Only two schools with new coaches in 2013 (Avon and Woodstock Academy) have actually added spring practice. The rest remained the same.
Locally, St. Joseph, Bethel, Oxford have added spring practices. Ludlowe, Harding, Wilton and Masuk have dropped it.
Spring football in 2013 can begin any time beginning May 24, 2013. It consists of 10 days, including a mandatory three-day conditioning (no pads, no contact) and must feature just one, two-hour session per day. Spring practices can’t continue further than the school’s summer closing.
Spring practice schools can begin fall training no earlier than August 19, 2013, and must include five days of mandatory conditioning practice (no pads, no contact). Full practices can begin August 24.
Schools that opt for extra days in the fall can begin August 14, 2013 and must include five days of mandatory conditioning practice (no pads, no contact). Full practices can begin for those schools on August 20.
Here’s the list of the 64 spring football schools, sorted by regional leagues first and working backward.
- FCIAC (14 of 19): Bassick, Central, McMahon, Darien, Danbury, Warde, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk, St. Joseph, Stamford, Staples, Trumbull, Westhill. (Dropped: Ludlowe, Harding, Wilton. Added: St. Joseph)
- SWC (8 of 14): Bethel, Bunnell, Barlow, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Oxford, Weston. (Dropped: Masuk. Added: Bethel, Oxford)
- SCC (12 of 19): Amity, Branford, Hand, Hamden, Hillhouse, Lyman Hall, North Haven, Sheehan, Shelton, West Haven, Wilbur Cross, Xavier. (Added: none. Dropped: Cheshire.)
- NVL (7 of 14): Ansonia, Kennedy, Naugatuck, St. Paul, Wilby, Wolcott, Woodland. (Added: Wolcott. Dropped: Crosby, Holy Cross, Sacred Heart, Torrington).
- CSC (1 of 12): O’Brien Tech. (Added: none. Dropped: none.)
- CCC (8 of 32): Berlin, Bristol Central, Fermi, Farmington, Platt, Simsbury, Southington, Tolland. (Dropped: Maloney, Manchester, New Britain, Rockville, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield. Added: none.)
- ECC (5 of 15): Windham, Griswold, Montville, Stonington, Woodstock Academy. (Dropped: Bacon Academy, East Lyme. Added: Woodstock Academy).
- Pequot (9 of 21): Avon, Coginchaug, Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton, Cromwell, Enfield, Hyde, Lewis Mills, Valley Regional/Old Lyme, Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby. (Dropped: Ellington/Somers. Added: Avon, Cromwell.)
Below is the full list found on CIACsports.com