The Lunch Break Chronicles

with Chris Preovolos

PIZZA WARS: STAMFORD PIZZA TOUR DROPS BOMB ON CULT OF COLONY

ABOVE: A sausage and cherry pepper pie at Colony Grill.

5/17/2009

The guys at the Stamford Pizza Tour blog seem to take pizza pretty seriously, so I was shocked [shocked, I tell you!] to find out that after they reviewed twenty-odd pizzerias in Stamford, Colony Grill was not among those chosen.

I assumed this transgression was intentional, but couldn’t figure out why. The Pizza Tour guys admit to being berated by The Colony’s “rabid, obnoxious fans,” so it’s not like they didn’t know the place existed. My best guess was that after reviewing the crispy, wafer-thin, hot-oil dripping Colony pie, the contest would be over. The fat lady sings. End of story.

Suffice it to say, I’d been eagerly awaiting their verdict, but when it dropped last week, I was stunned.

Not only – according to these anonymous posters – is Colony not the best in town, it doesn’t even break the top ten. There must be some mistake. An error in the math. A judge with anemic taste buds.

Something is off.

Granted, their review isn’t all that bad, they did actually like the pizza. And yeah, the place is a dive. Yeah, service is not their selling point. Yeah, every time I eat a hot-oil pie, I wake up at 5 a.m. with raging heart-burn.

I’ll be the first to admit, Colony is not my absolute favorite pizzeria in the country. But we are talking Stamford here and for their top pick thus far, Remo’s Brick Oven Pizza*, to be rated the highest in Stamford seems odd.

I guess what I’m saying is, this really must be put into greater context.

Colony serves a highly unique pie and there is something to be said for that. Remo’s, on the other hand, is fine except it portrays itself at New Haven-style pizza and if you are going to make that claim and be within 40 miles of Wooster Square, your pie better be spectacular. Remo’s pizza is very good, but it rates nowhere near its New Haven brethren. [The same could be said about a lot of other places in town that serve up a New York style pie]

Whatever the outcome, I appreciate a healthy Stamford pizza debate. Keep it up guys.

–CP

POST SCRIPT: The LBC on Colony [10/16/2008]

*I’m basing this off of the numerical value given to the pie itself, ignoring the other scores.

Categories: news
Chris Preovolos

1. Mike says:

I would just like to say in my opinion Colony pizza in Stamford and Fairfield CT. Is the best PIZZA In the world and I love pizza, I have had pizza from NYC, to New Haven. Out side of NYC and CT. they don’t no how to make good pizza.But thats not to say other places in this pizza war aren’t good. I totally disagree with this hole pizza war COLONY is #1 in my book :)

2. NIKOS says:

IN MY OPINION,RIDGEWAY PIZZA IS THE BEST I HAVE HAD SO FAR.I took the advice of stamford pizza tour when they gave them a good score and tryed ridgeway pizza afterwards and am happy i did.There pizza was perfect thin crust ny style.I was hooked.Thank you spt…cheer’s

3. T.R. says:

S.P.T.
    STILL BURNING FROM THE HOT OIL ?

4. “Food Guy” commented on the old blog site, but I wanted to paste it in here because there is a lot of info in his comment:

if you are up milford way there is a excellent brick oven fired pizza joint called “papas pizza 2″ there is also the original papas pizza in another area of milford but for some reason this newer location makes a better pie.
    it is just about as good as “modern” in new haven and modern is about the best pie around !!!
    papas 2 is a block away from the milford hospital across the street from mr. macs canteen. exit 36 plains road off i-95. tke a right off ramp and follow road straight through a stop light , straight through 2 stop signs and you will come to a light just over a little railroad bridge. you have to take a hard left a soft left or a right turn otherwise you will run into a carvel [ good idea with the pizza!] take the soft left and on the right , right after the soft left is a little strip mall thats where papa pizza 2 is located, its mainly a take out but there are 2 tables inside.
    ask for wayne or scott if they are there and tell them tom from west haven
    recommended you.
    i promise you will not be disappointed if you like a brick oven burn and a fairly thin crust new haven style pie.
    they make pizza and the large is the old 18 inch .
    they make calzones and “cone” grinders. 1/2 large italian loaf gutted not sliced and stuffed with meatballs sausage chicken or eggplant. its huge!
    thats all they make.
    the meatballs are delicious .
    there i get a extra lot of fresh chopped garlic [ not that garbage swimming in oilo or water] bacon and fresh mushrooms . its the bomb!
    a long drive granted but if you are in the area it cant hurt to try it . let me know what you think if you do. they are really very nice people and the price is way better then new haven or stamford prices and you get a lot without asking for extra.
    they way the pie is cooked you generally dont have to ask for wqell done unless you want a real burned crust. and the crust is just terrific. going there tomorrow myself!

5. Stamford Pizza Tour says:

There are several very good reasons that it’s not “easy” to post comments on our blog and ALL CAPS ramblings (not unlike TR’s) was one of the big ones.

6. T.R says:

IT IS NICE THAT YOU HAVE A EASY WAY TO RESPOND TO YOUR COMMENTS AS OPPOSED TO THE “STAMFORD PIZZA TOUR ” BLOG DOES.
    THEY HIT COLONY WITH ATTITUDE BEFORE ENTERING THE “DIVE” MY PARENTS WENT THERE IN THE 1940′S
    IF THEY TOOK TIME TO LOOK AROUND AND SEE THE HISTORY ON THE WALLS & WENT THERE TO ENJOY THE COMPANY OF THEIR FRIENDS & FAMILY LIKE ALL THE OTHER LOYAL, CONSIDERATE CUSTOMERS THAT WOULD HAVE ENJOYED THE DINING MORE ENJOYABLE. THE STAMFORD ADVOCATE & THE ADVOCATE ALL WROTE & VOTED COLONY GRILL “THE BEST !!!”

7. chris says:

J,

Thanks for the info.

I agree about Modern. I really do like Modern a lot and it’s easier to get into than Pepe’s or Sally’s.

–CP

8. J from CT says:

Pizza preference is greatly subjective. If you’re not a fan of the cracker-thin crust, you’re not going to like Colony… or Vinnie’s in Springdale, for that matter.

They gave good ratings 22+ to what I feel are mediocre pizzas – John’s, John the Baker, Sorrento’s (but go there anyway and have something else because Tony Uva’s a good guy), Ridgeway.

And mediocre ratings 21- to good pizzas: Capriccio, Colony, Mario the Baker (although they’ve dropped a little in quality over the years), Villa Italia.

Also, Colony has raised their prices to where I no longer think of them as “cheap” for what you get.

And while Pepe’s is excellent, Modern Apizza should be tried by those who make the New Haven run.

And, and, if you’re willing to go that far north, then try going south and go to Johnny’s in Mt. Vernon. Ignore the pissy mood the owner is always in and just enjoy the pie.

9. Mel says:

For that matter, I’m a die-hard Mario’s fan, and I know full well that it’s not the best around. But something about it is just intensely satisfying when the pizza craving hits. On some level, I get the loyalty.

I hear you on the Pepe’s pie. And I once had a slice at a hole in the wall place across the street from the Alba bakery in Brooklyn. It was “last meal on Earth” good.

10. chris says:

I totally see your point. It’s hard to explain though.

I’m a pretty hard-core Colony fan, but I must admit, I’d rather have a white shrimp pie from Pepe’s, the Vongole from Two Amys in D.C., or anything from Co. in New York.

And those pies are NOTHING like Colony pies.

–CP

11. Mel says:

As a Stamford native, I’ve never really understood the feverish, panting loyalty given to Colony. I know it goes back way longer than I’ve been alive, but calling it “the best in Stamford” just because you love the place doesn’t make it the best. A little objectivity was in order here. I’ve eaten there plenty of times. Is it good? Yeah. Cheap? Yeah. Filling? Of course. And it’s good pizza. But it ain’t the best.

I do love the Tour blog, though. Great stuff.

12. Pete Healy says:

I love that headline, Chris!

It’s too bad Sabatiello’s is closed.

Could you imagine Sammy reading the pizza tour review?

“What the #$()&&^) _@!!%*( ))%&))(*$## is this?”