The Lunch Break Chronicles

with Chris Preovolos

UPDATED: CHEF TAIBE LEAVING NAPA & CO., PLANS WPT RESTAURANT

taibe

ABOVE: Chef Bill Taibe of Napa & Co. in Stamford.

7/20/2009

UPDATED

Stamford’s renowned Napa & Company is losing the executive chef who has been with restaurant since it opened three years ago. Chef Bill Taibe tells the LBC his last day at the restaurant will be Wednesday.

Taibe, 33, a Weston resident, is planning to open a new restaurant in Westport by the end of summer. Via email, Taibe offers this regarding his new venture, “The concept: old reclaimed barn wood, open kitchen, super casual farmhouse feel. Food will be what is available to me that day.”

Along with owners Mary Schaffer and Charlie Morgan, Taibe and his staff have remained close to the themes evoked by the restaurant’s name; Napa & Company’s hallmarks have been its deep wine list and a menu that changes frequently to reflect local and seasonal produce and cheeses.

“[It is a] great restaurant with a passionate group of people running it. Napa made me the chef I am today, and I’m very proud to say that,” says Taibe, ” I will miss it, but I need to be in a more hands-on environment, a smaller more intimate restaurant. I will miss Napa and its staff, I wish them all the best truly…

PLEASE READ: Schaffer’s comment to this post. Excerpted here, she writes:

…It is with pride that we announce that Bill Taibe has been offered a chance to do his own restaurant again. With change comes excitement, we are equally proud to announce the next rising star chef, Arik Bensimon. Arik is a culinary graduate from the prestigious Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park. He has the famed restaurants, Le Cirque and Picholine in NYC and La Panetiere in Rye, under his belt. His many years in the culinary scene of New York City shaped his passion and work ethic. And although, Arik shares the same “farm to table” philosophy as our former chef, we are very impressed at the sneak peaks of what’s to come out of the kitchen now.

–CP

Chris Preovolos

1. I have to say Taibe is an awesome cook! I have no doubts that Taibe in Westport will be a success!

2. Rico says:

Chef Taibe is a great cook, let’s see how long Le Farm last.
    Napa is not going down the toilet there is a lot of talent inside.
    Good luck to Taibe in Westport!!!

Foodie.

3. Yummytummy says:

LeFarm is figgin amazing. Taibe hits antoher homer. Chris, you gotta haul your a$$ up there and give it a try!

4. Duncan Henderson says:

For some time now my gourmet wife had been dragging me to Napa and Co. every time we went out in Stamford and little by little I began to appreciate what she so admired in Bill Taibe’s usage and respect for fresh local ingredients. We’ve been a couple of times since he left and although the dishes are roughly the same, my wife has stopped asking to go back. We look forward to trying Chef Taibe’s new restaurant in Westport.

5. fan of napa & co says:

last time i checked the chef doesnt run the restaurant, the chef runs the kitchen. mary and charlie had much success with telluride (without chef bill’s help) and i am sure that they will have continued success with napa. sure, chef bill is a talent and will be missed but i ate there just the other day and everything was as good as it has always been!

6. The Boss says:

Mary and Charlie are terrible at running a restaurant and Napa will spiral down the toilet without Chef Bill…

7. Kim Stevens says:

His new restaurant is “le Farm” 256 Post Road – Westport. You can find it on Facebook.

8. david casas says:

oh oh napa and co!!!!!!!!!hard times are coming!!!!
    the king has left the building!!!

9. Lynn Martone says:

Does anyone know the location of the new restaurant in Westport? Is it an existing place that’s being redone?

10. In our 13 years owning restaurants, Charlie and I have seen many talented people walk through our doors. We have been proud to groom them, give them opportunities and watch them evolve. It is with pride that we announce that Bill Taibe has been offered a chance to do his own restaurant again. With change comes excitement, we are equally proud to announce the next rising star chef, Arik Bensimon. Arik is a culinary graduate from the prestigious Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park. He has the famed restaurants, Le Cirque and Picholine in NYC and La Panetiere in Rye, under his belt. His many years in the culinary scene of New York City shaped his passion and work ethic. And although, Arik shares the same “farm to table” philosophy as our former chef, we are very impressed at the sneak peaks of what’s to come out of the kitchen now. We want Napa & Co to be your everyday neighborhood restaurant not just a special occasion. We believe you will agree as you watch us evolve.
    Bon Appétit