The Lunch Break Chronicles

with Chris Preovolos

Yet another mega CVS may displace popular deli

Deep in Elizabeth Kim’s article about the ongoing saga over the CVS at Bulls Head and its design is this note:

In a city with relatively few chains, CVS appears to be making a significant investment in Stamford. According to Cole, CVS officials have made inquiries with him about two other locations in Stamford. One, on Hope Street in Glenbrook, is being targeted for expansion. The deal, which has not been confirmed, could result in the displacement of as many as eight local businesses.

I’ve been hearing rumors about this for a while since I frequent one of the businesses that could be displaced, Enzo’s Italian Fine Foods on Hope Street.

Aside from being the best Italian Deli in Stamford (along with L&G on the west side), Enzo’s is a gathering place for pretty much everybody I know from the Minturnese Social Club where my colleagues and I compete (poorly) in a bocce league.

When I was living further up in Springdale, CVS displaced the neighborhood’s only grocery store, despite the fact there was a Brooks pharmacy next door (they subsequently closed and that building is now vacant). CVS is well within their rights to a bigger and better store on their property, but is it really necessary; Hope Street Pharmacy next door is hands-down a better pharmacy in terms of customer service.

There isn’t much to report at this time, but I sincerely hope that if forced to move Enzo finds a suitable location nearby. If not, I am going to miss the hell out of that place.

–CP

Chris Preovolos

1. Sal says:

Enzos is the best Italian deli in Stamford. I will never go inside another CVS if this happens.

2. JaniceRoberta says:

as long as the chinese restaurant stays, i’m good with it in glenbrook

3. L says:

We won’t go to that CVS (Glenbrook) because the service is so bad, including the pharmacy. Sorry but a bigger store won’t get me back in there.

4. Chris Preovolos says:

You are right. I’m just upset.

5. Publius says:

Chris, it isn’t as if CVS forced a grocery store or a deli out of business, which is how you make it sound. Both properties are privately owned. Their owners negotiate leases with tenants in the marketplace. At the end of a lease, either the owner or the tenant may choose not to renew. If CVS is willing to pay a higher rent than the previous tenant, the owner may choose to replace the tenant.

Whether the grocer or deli is one you frequent, or whether there is another pharmacy nearby, is really irrelevant to the transaction.

6. A.Sclafani says:

How I Miss Syl-Mays….and that broken down back door entry way lol

7. Baily Howlett says:

Bring Back Syl- May!!!!!!!!!

8. Mark says:

Does anyone know where the proposed new CVS is on High Ridge?

I wish there was another good pharmacy on the lower west side of town – the old CVS in Ridgeway had a good pharmacy but the new one in Bull’s Head is an absolute disaster. Every time I send them a prescription it is never filled by the time I get there.