The Lunch Break Chronicles

with Chris Preovolos

Yuengling coming back to Conn. What other beers are we missing?

A sign for Yuengling beer glows in a darkened bar. (Photo: Contributed / Flickr user MrSeb)

According to the CT Beer Wholesalers Association, Pennsylvania’s Yuengling beer — brewed in what its producers claim is the United States’ oldest brewery — is returning to the Connecticut market after many years of not being available in the Nutmeg State.

The Connecticut Beer Wholesalers Association is delighted to welcome the return of D.G. Yuengling & Son to the Connecticut market, possibly as early as Summer 2014. Established in 1829, Yuengling is the oldest operating brewing company in the United States and one of the largest breweries by volume in the Country.

After selling its brands in Connecticut for many years, in 1996, Yuengling consolidated its markets and ceased selling beer in New England.

This got us wondering: what other beers from around the country (or, heck, from around the world) should go on sale in Connecticut and become one of our fabled “steady habits?” Leave your answers in the comments or tweet them to us, and we’ll highlight the best ideas right here!

Categories: Beer, drink, news

1. Burns says:

Cismontane’s “Coulter IPA” rocks !

2. Doug O. says:

With all of the great beer that is currently being brewed right here in Connecticut, why would we wish for these other beers to be available? Granted, Heady Topper is really something special, but drinking fresh local beer from breweries such as Two Roads, Cottrell, NEBCO, etc. is infinitely better than drinking what is listed in this blog. The grass isn’t always greener… Cottrell’s Old Yankee Ale scores a perfect 100 on Beer Advocate. Support local beer!

3. Joe R says:

Elysian Brewery out of Seattle makes the highly rated “Immortal” IPA – excellent beer!

4. Joe R says:

21st Amendment Brewery, specifically their “Brew Free or Die” American IPA.

5. ITguy says:

And why is it so hard to get these beers and many more in CT? This CT Beer Wholesalers Association has a strangle-hold on this market in CT. Where other states welcome breweries to sell their product with little more than simple paperwork, CT requires extensive paperwork and numerous expensive registration fees for each brewery to do business in the state. Why pay hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in fees when the states around CT are dramatically easier to do business in? What is the purpose for these so-called fee’s? Want to write a good story, investigate this association and it’s monopoly on the market in CT.

6. Erik says:

Hennepin Beer from Ommegsng Brewery in Cooperstown NY. You can only get it in NY

7. big Al says:

old style !!

8. Karen Andrews says:

I am thrilled to hear that Yuengling will be available in Ct. I have had to buy it in New York or in New Jersey when I go visit my daughter. I am looking forward to buying it here.

9. scott werthmann says:

Connecticut is NOT the Nutmeg State. It’s the Constitution State.

10. Dan says:

I can’t believe you left out Cigar City Brewing Company in TAMPA – the epicenter of all things craft beer! Their Jai Alia IPA has won award after award. Check it out on Beer Advocate: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/46363/

11. Bobo the Clown says:

Please, please, please get me some of Three Floyds beers in CT. One of my favorite brewers ever. They could barely produce enough to supply the package stores in Chicago when I lived there, so doubt we’ll ever get it in our state though. Gumbal Head is definitely the best wheat beer I’ve ever had and their IPAs are also excellent.

12. DC Bongo says:

3 Floyds Alpha King NEEDS to come to CT. It is amazing.

13. Rashomon says:

As an ex-pat Australian, I’d like to see Victoria Bitter or any bitter for than matter – regardless of what the commercials say, nobody drinks Fosters .

14. Rick Nelson says:

Being from Wisconsin, I personally would’ve put #4 at the top of this list.
    Everytime I go back to visit family & friends, I bring back 2 cases: 1 strictly of Spotted Cow, the other a mix of their others.

15. Joe Smith says:

You cannot buy Heady Topper in most of Vermont. Though not the same, Two Roads has a double IPA and white IPA that are pretty good.