This morning, I announced that construction of the Replacement of the Farms Road Bridge over the East Branch of the Mianus River is completed. This project is the culmination of many years of design and environmental permitting and 16 months of construction. Input from the meetings held both formally with the public and informally with the area residents have contributed greatly to the success of this project.
The new bridge maintains essentially the same alignment as the existing bridge but has been widened to improve driving safety. The new structure features solid arched parapet walls and four pilasters that define the bridge. The entire structure is surfaced to replicate the stone of the many WPA era bridges that were constructed throughout Stamford. The cost of the project was eligible for 80% reimbursement from federal aid with the remaining 20% coming from municipal funds.
The federal aid for the project was authorized under the Transportation Equity Act for the Twenty-First Century (TEA-21) administered by the Federal Highway Administration through the Connecticut Department of Transportation’s Federal Local Bridge Program. To commemorate this auspicious completion, I will be conducting a ribbon cutting ceremony on the bridge, on Friday, September 18th at 11:00AM. I hope to see you there.