Most of us, at some point in our lives, will be touched by the effects of breast cancer…whether a loved one, a friend, a neighbor or our self.
This disease isn’t divided by race, religion, demographics or socioeconomic backgrounds, but rather only by the stage in which it is detected. With an emphasis on education, self-breast examinations and annual mammograms (when of age) early detection could be the difference between life and death.
Although there have been many strides made to stop the progression of the illness, a cure has yet to be found.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month and throughout Fairfield County there are many ways in which we can get involved.
* Wacoal fit specialists will be on hand at Lord & Taylor and Macy’s to help you determine your true bra size. Specialists will help you find the perfect bras for all y For every woman who participates, Wacoal will donate $2 to Komen for the Cure to help fund breast cancer research and community outreach projects. No purchase necessary.
Macy’s, West Farms Mall, Farmington, Oct. 12
Lord & Taylor, 110 High Ridge Road & Long Ridge Road, Stamford, Oct. 30
* Mitchells of Westport will be hosting its 2nd Annual Pink Aid Luncheon with a Ralph Lauren Black Label fashion show, delicious gourmet lunch, as well as live, silent and Pink Chair auctions. A touching benefit you won’t want to miss.
* Pink Pony products at Ralph Lauren support a worldwide initiative for cancer care and prevention. With a portion of the purchase price being donated directly to the cause, Ralph Lauren enables you to wear your support with style.
* Saks Fifth Avenue and Jay Strongwater have come together to create a new heirloom locket with 5% of the retail price of each piece sold donated to support the work of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The lockets are handcrafted in brass-plated pewter and embellished with sparkling Swarovski crystals.
* Agabhumi in Stamford and New Haven has chosen the Bennett Cancer Center of Stamford as their focus for the month. 30% of all proceeds from their pink fresh water pearl bracelet will benefit the center. This handcrafted piece was created on a nickel free, lead free chain.
* The Breast Cancer Embrace Pendant at Darien Sport Shop “is made with rose colored Swarovski crystals and is a symbol uniting all women who have been touched by breast cancer. A portion of all proceeds are donated to support this cause.”
* Through a cause merchandise program and partnerships with world-class women’s health organizations, Kohl’s is helping to fund research, raise awareness and educate women about the importance of regular exams and prevention. They have an extensive line of merchandise ranging from totes to t-shirts to travel mugs with 100 % of the profits supporting the fight.