Mixing It Up

A closer look at cultural diversity

Why are people so racist on the Internet?

Photo taken from XO Jane

Today I was reading a blog post by Issa Rae, a black woman who recently won an award for her web series, “The Mis-adventures of Awkward Black Girl.”

After winning against 783 other web series for a  ”Shorty Award,” Issa received quite a few racist Tweets.

One that really stood out to me: “#ThingsBetterThanAwkwardBlackGirl The smell coming from Treyvon Martin. @awkwarblkgrl”

That’s really horrible.

Issa said she’s never been called the N-word to her face, but over the Internet, people use the word very liberally, as if this were the 1950s and 1960s.

I really related to her post because since I started writing about diversity for the News-Times, I’ve never heard the N-word so much either. Like Issa, most of the time the word is thrown at me over the Internet.

I guess it’s easier for people to be themselves anonymously.

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Links

Mixing It Up: Hunger Games fans mad that black actors played key roles

Mixing It Up: Underwear company pays $650K in discrimination case

Mixing It Up: Can you believe this bumper sticker?

1. Jason Feminism says:

People are soooo racist. This person remixed this Game song and made it about Trayvon Martin and people went off. Like

“Nice, typical for black people to capitalize on the deaths of their own kind.”

And

“Black people arent being oppressed. Well will have peace when niggers stop acting like niggers. black people are actually just as privileged as white people, and in some case’s aided and spoon fed just because of your skin color. Affirmative action is on your side you dumb nigger”

I just don’t get it.

2. Holly Ister says:

Are you saying that those silly editorials are the collective wisdom of 4 or 5 NT “executives”? No way!

3. Sharon says:

The reason why people use the “N-word” liberally on the internet is because they speak the same way in public. You see it in high schools, in the Mall, sports locker rooms, Music Television, on the streets, on line at the bank, etc. You see it posted on Facebook and tweets – may they be from peers or a celebrity.

The “n-word” is no longer culturally offensive — it’s used freely by people of all races these days.

4. Nemesys says:

Danbury loves immigrants (legal), and the ignorance is provided by those who will not distinguish the difference between invited guests, welcome new citizens, and illegal trespassers.

As to using horrible words against individuals, it is indeed the sign of a coward and says much more about the persons using it than those who they are directed towards. However, the challenging of ideas should be welcome by everyone. Interestingly, those who say they are against “Hate speech” are sometimes the first ones to toss around hateful words like “racists” when they don’t agree with the ideas and points of others.

Why are people more likely to use hateful words anonymously? People are much more likely to do actions that they know are wrong (including steal, assault, trespass, drive drunk) when they think they won’t get caught and be held personally accountible for their actions. It’s why it is fashionable for terrorists to plant bombs that kill innocents instead of facing their opposition like men. This human weakness is not limited to racist words on the internet or any one race.

Btw, the “armpit” description is nothing new and has nothing to do with “hate speech”. I think its been a Danbury nickname since Civil War times.

5. Chanticleer says:

Danbury has become a hotbet for anit-immigrant racism over the past five years, and thus has been dubbed the armpit of Connecticut. Ignorant, hurtful hate speech against people of color is on the rise as well.

6. Chris Preovolos says:

Editorials are unsigned because they are the to be attributed to the newspaper’s editorial board, it’s no big secret.

Also, People aren’t racist on the internet. The are racist and on in the internet. They don’t log off an become non-racist.

–CP

7. Filo says:

Racists are usually ignorant cowards. What better way to not have to answer for your actions then the anonymity the web provides.

8. Staff Writer says:

That is not true Duane. You can safely call them any name you want to their face if you sing or Rap the words. If you are any good, they may even join you in using the same words. I guess it’s all in the delivery.

9. T. Jesper says:

“since I started writing about diversity for the News-Times, I’ve never heard the N-word so much either”

I guess you are not a fan of Rap music?

10. neal says:

there are racist people everywhere ….how about work and the employers dont give a damn…past 40 years things have improve but this country has a long way to go….may be when my grand kids grow up they dont have to go through i did

11. Duane says:

People find it easier to tell people of color on the internet because they know they would get assaulted or murdered if they said it to their face.

12. Korrupt Madia says:

I guess it’s easier for people to be themselves anonymously.

I’ve wondered why editorials are unsigned and some articles are signed “staff writer”.