Former Danbury cop due pleads not guilty in assault case

|

UPDATE 10:30 a.m.

Christopher Belair, the former Danbury police officer charged with assault in relation to a March incident while on-duty, pleaded not guilty in court this morning.

Belair, who was charged with third-degree assault late last month, will also face an additional charge of second-degree threatening, said his attorney, Eugene Zingaro. Both charges are misdemeanors.

Zingaro said Belair, who declined comment after his arraignment, maintains his innocence and is appealing his termination from the Danbury Police Department.

 

DANBURY — The former Danbury police officer fired after an incident that several months later resulted in his arrest on one count of third-degree assault is due in court this morning for his arraignment.

Christopher Belair, 33, of Waterbury, turned himself in to state police on Jan. 31 for the misdemeanor and was released on a written promise to appear in court.

The charge stems from a traffic stop on March 8 during which Belair berated an immigrant driver who police suspected of driving under the influence.

An internal affairs investigation into the incident, which was audio-recorded on a cell phone by another officer, turned up an accusation that Belair allegedly assaulted the driver, at which point state police initiated a criminal investigation at the request of Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky.

Belair was later fired as a result of the incident. Three other officers who were present received suspensions.

Through his attorney, Eugene Zingaro, Belair said he is innocent of the charge against him.

Categories: General
Dennis O'Malley

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.