Lost in the Andre Drummond news was a bit of info from the UConn football team.
For those of us hard-working scribes who try to stay on top of both sports, sorry but this was shoved to my back burner.
Anyway, enough apologies.
There are no real surprises in the two-deep.
– No decision was announced at quarterback, obviously.
Mike Nebrich, Scott McCummings and Johnny McEntee all officially remain “tied” for the top spot with “OR” between their names. Coach Paul Pasqualoni said this week that he’ll wait until just before the game to announce his choice for a starter.
– The left guard is also still in an “OR” situation. Sophomore Steve Greene and senior Gary Bardzak are apparently battling down to the wire.
– There were two other somewhat surprising “OR”s on the chart. At tailback, D.J. Shoemate and Lyle McCombs are listed as co-No. 1′s. Also at tight end, Ryan Griffin and John Delahunt aren’t separated.
– DE Jesse Joseph is still listed as a starter, probably indicating his right knee injury isn’t overly serious.
– Yawin Smallwood is listed as the starting middle linebacker with Sio Moore and Jory Johnson outside, with the injured Jerome Williams not on the chart. A pair of true freshmen (Marquise Vann, Jefferson Ashiru) and a redshirt freshman (Mike Osiecki) are the backup linebackers.