Overtime

Dave Ruden offers news, commentary and analysis on the FCIAC and local sports

New Canaan suspends 10 players for tonight’s game

New Canaan coach Lou Marinelli said 10 players, including six starters, have been suspended for tonight’s home game with Brien McMahon for violation of team rules.

Marinelli said one of the players is quarterback Teddy Bossidy, who shares the position with Nick Cascione.

Marinelli said team policy in such situations is for players to be suspended for five days and one game.

“It’s an unfortunate situation,” Marinelli said. We haven’t had this kind of problem. I feel personally responsible for what has happened.”

The Rams are 2-1, coming off a win last week over Fairfield Warde.

1. Mary says:

Congratulations to the coach for doing the right thing.
    If all of the Fairfield County coaches did the same we’d all be better off.

2. Dave Ruden says:

I’m sorry if my answer proves unsatisfactory to you, but to discuss this more won’t help the situation. It was discussed with the people I had to discuss it with.

3. blah says:

You chose to keep conversations private except for 1 name? And you never answered the question – is it responsible reporting? Don’t post things if you can’t answer them honesty and responsibly…

Just answer the question before you say “that’s all i have to say about this” when you’ve started a lot more.

4. Dave Ruden says:

The name was never mentioned in the paper. I had to deal with the same situation the week before with a different school. All I am going to say on this is I spoke to various people at the school during the day and night and choose to keep the conversations private. And I’ve never nor will I ever look to hurt a high school athlete. That’s all I have to say about this.

5. blah says:

Dave would you consider this to be responsible reporting on your part naming a 16 year old kid in the newspaper and this blog?

6. Rocky Road says:

darien set them up…see you on thanksgiving

7. Dave Ruden says:

Bossidy is only player he told me for the record, which would be obvious once game starts. He stated a violation of team rules. Wouldn’t say anything more on the record.

8. Ram Fan says:

Dave, who besides Bossidy is suspended and what were the reasons?