Overtime

Dave Ruden offers news, commentary and analysis on the FCIAC and local sports

And the winner will be…..Bridgeport Central

Let me start off this blog post by saying I am not a big fan of making predictions on high school sports games, mainly because the fun and discussion roused is offset often by hurt feelings. I saw it again this week: if you pick against a team, while coaches like to use it as bulletin board material, too often kids get their feelings hurt.

Too sensitive? Perhaps. I’ve just seen it a number of times so I guess it has made me gun shy over the years.

So why am I making a prediction on tonight’s FCIAC championship game between Trinity Catholic and Bridgeport Central? For one, I was asked to make picks on the four quarterfinal games in the paper so I guess I already started this. Plus, from an ego standpoint, I am 6-0 so far and want to see if I can make a perfect run and for one of the first times sound smart publicly.

Anyhow, I am not going to do a deep analysis here because I did so in today’s paper. You can read it here.

Nine days ago, before the final day of the regular season, I told people I really thought Bridgeport Central was going to win its second title in four years and I am not going to back down from that prediction.

This is going to be a close game. The Crusaders have all the pieces in place to win the title, and expect Schadrac Casimir to put the team on his back if necessary.

So why Central? For one, the Hilltoppers are much deeper. And because of that, they have a greater margin for error. One or two players — as long as one of them isn’t point guard Tyler Ancrum — can have an off day and the Hilltoppers can still operate at close to peak potential. On the other hand, if one of the Trinity so-called Big 3 — Casimir, Brandon Wheeler or Tremaine Fraiser — has a bad game, the team is in trouble.

Perhaps most importantly, Central just seems to have caught fire and is on one of those magical runs that has allowed mid-seeds to run the table and win the title.

So for that reason, the pick here is….Bridgeport Central 62, Trinity Catholic 59.

1. Dave Ruden says:

I think it is called taking your personnel and setting it up in the best position to win. Considering the team is 21-2 and figured to be a middle of the pack seed in the FCIAC Tournament in December, seems to have worked pretty well so far.

2. Mike H says:

That dynamic will be a big reason they won’t win in states and that stinks for the city… when they practice does everyone practice shooting or just the big three? The other players can’t be that bad, is it coaching?

3. Dave Ruden says:

Bingo!

4. fan says:

By luck you score at least 1 point in a game…maybe this player is the best defender on the team and he adds to the team in other ways.

5. Dave Ruden says:

You obviously haven’t been following the dynamic of the team this year.

6. jeb says:

I will not mention any names but in the seven games I have seen Trinity play this year one player has not scored a point in any of those games. And he is a starter. What gives?

7. Mike H says:

Central is deep and young, the better and hotter team won. Cedric is a great scorer, and Wheeler and Tre are talented, but you don’t win championships without having role players confident to contribute. Trinity’s coach has never really devloped any players or a bench but hats off to their big 3 for making the finals that’s more than we did.

8. anonymous says:

Agreed Dave. One of Coach Walsh’s flaws over the years is his inability throughout the season to develop much of a bench. (i.e. a defensive stopper, a 3 point shooter or just overall depth )
    This has shown paramount the last few seasons….

9. Dave Ruden says:

Appreciate the praise but it wasn’t that difficult a call. Central has been on a roll past month. They have deepest team in the league and it showed.

10. anonymous says:

You are a sage !! Wow ! What’s the market going to do next week? or this quarter ? Great selection !! Perhaps you can call into Miked Up and give your Sunday picks !! Wow….nice job..