Weather tracker

Stay on top of upcoming storms and weather events

Easton firefighter killed in line of duty identified

An Easton volunteer firefighter who died while clearing debris in front of a fire truck Monday night on Judd Road during Sandy has been identified as Lt. Russell Neary, according to the Weston Easton Daily Voice.

Neary was struck by a falling limb.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Neary worked at the General Reinsurance Company, as a vice president there.
Photo contributed by Jay Pagano

Categories: Weather
Tom Cleary

1. Joe Lower says:

Rest in Peace Brother! Thoughts and Prayers to your family! As a Volunteer Firefighter myself back home in Central Pennsylvania, i know first hand the dangers,commitments and sacrifices we make to keep our Communitys safe! Your Courage will never be forgotten! Rest Easy Lt. and God Speed!

2. David Micik says:

Russ was a true and genuine man, father and friend! His passion was to his family, to be a terrific firefighter and a true gentlemen. He had a wonderful personality and smile. He made sure people got together to meet for a bite to eat at local establishments. I vividly recall Russ’s great sense of humor and concern for others. Russ was a team player in softball and a terrific third base coach! Years ago, I remember he invited the entire team to his tiny apt in Bridgeport – we had a blast with Russ. I am saddened by this news, but know he is in heaven with God. My sincere thoughts and prayers are with Russ and his famly.

3. Rich P. says:

May God bless you Russell…like your alma mater Fairfield Prep teachings – “Men for Others”…you always set the example for others to follow.

4. Christopher O'Neil says:

Russ was my Babe Ruth baseball coach in Easton back in the late 70′s. He was a great coach and even better person. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

5. John Brenner says:

RIP Brother, thank you for your service.

6. I have known Russ since we were kids and he truly represented what the town of Easton has always been about. Family and volunteers. Over the years we have had many enjoyable conversations about Easton, scouting, his family and our days as kids on the Easton baseball teams. His volunteer work was second to none.

Easton is missing a true hero at this time and our thoughts and prayers go to his family who will need our support moving forward. He is in heaven now with his parents. I will miss his positive messages as he always looked for the best in any situation. God be
    with you Russ.

7. Vulture says:

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

8. Sandy Rutkowski says:

A loving father and husband. A man who worked full time but found the time to volunteer helping his community. Good people like Russell will be missed and not forgotten. Our hearts go out to his family.

9. Jack says:

I didn’t know Lt. Neary, however he was a special person. Anyone that gives back so much of their time to help their community are special people. To give one’s life as Lt. Neary has, is sad. My prayers go out to him, his family, friends, and fellow firefighters.

I know that Russell Neary is resting in Heaven. Thank you Lt. Russell Neary for all you did, you are truly a hero in my eyes.
    May GOD bless you, your family, and your family of firefighters.

10. John Gray says:

I knew Russ as both a co worker at Gen Re and a neighbor in Redding before he moved to Easton. My daughter sat for his kids. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer person than Russ… and his neighbors ,
    co-workers and his many clients would always be greeted by that warm, outgoing personality with a big smile attached to it. He was also a devoted husband and father to his two daughters. He absolutely loved being a fireman and was very proud that his brother was the Chief in Easton. We will miss you very much,Russell
    John

11. Pat says:

He went helping others,and that’s what’s makes the difference in the end.May he rest peacefully.

12. Jim says:

I didn’t know the man, but thanks Russ for your service, especially as someone volunteering to help keep others safe. Sorry to the family for your loss.

13. Colette says:

Russ was passionate about his work as a volunteer fireman and in being of service to others. When our paths crossed in business I loved hearing about and feeling his enthusiasm for his volunteer work and his involment in his family. He loved life and his family. Having known Russ for many years in the insurance world I found him to be a true friend willing to offer his help and support always. Russ will be missed terribly. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

14. Jim says:

So sad……He was a true hero