The Fairfield Museum and History Center will host its annual Burning of Fairfield Walking Tour from 4 – 6 pm on Sunday, July 7th, the actual date of the destruction of Fairfield by British troops in 1779.
The tour, which brings to life this exciting piece of Fairfield’s history, will include stops at various homes on or adjacent to the Historic Town Green with actors portraying prominent citizens. The center uses actual letters and depositions from 1779, and the real words of Fairfield citizens who lived through the burning of Fairfield.
On July 7, 1779, the people of Fairfield awoke to a warning shot from the fort at Black Rock, signaling that a British fleet was spotted off the coast. For two days, Fairfield was under British attack with troops burning virtually all of its buildings. This attack was one of three, which also included the cities of New Haven and Norwalk.
Following the Burning of Fairfield in 1779, there was ongoing worry among citizens about a repeat attack. This concern eventually led to the construction of the Powderhouse in Fairfield, which is located behind the site of Tomlinson Middle School.
The Burning of Fairfield Walking Tour will begin at the Museum, 370 Beach Road, and will take place rain or shine. The cost is $5 for museum members and $8 for non-members. To register for the Walking Tour, please call 203-259-1598.
About Fairfield Museum and History Center
Fairfield Museum and History Center is a community cultural arts and education center established in 2007 by the 103-year old Fairfield Historical Society. The 13,000 square-foot museum, inspired architecturally by the historic warehouses along Southport harbor, includes modern galleries, a research library, a museum shop and community spaces overlooking Fairfield’s Town Green. The Fairfield Museum and History Center believes in the power of history to inspire the imagination, stimulate thought and transform society.
Located at 370 Beach Road in Fairfield, CT, the Museum is open seven days a week. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for students and seniors. Members of the Museum and children are free. For more information, call 203-259-1598 or view us online at www.fairfieldhistory.org.