John Taylor Arms: A Selection of Prints from the Housatonic Collection, part of the Housatonic Museum of Art’s permanent collection, features etchings created by John Taylor Arms (1887–1953), and will be on view at Housatonic Community College, on 900 Lafayette Bvld., Bridgeport, CT, in the Community Gallery, Beacon Hall’s third floor, beginning Sept 15th and continuing through October 20, 2013. The exhibition is free and open to the public.
The works on view, donated to the Housatonic Museum by Henry Arms, depict Gothic Architecture in France, England and Mexico executed in John Taylor Arm’s celebrated meticulous style. Arms traveled extensively, recording the churches and other compelling architectural sites with his incessant attention to minute detail. His prints are examples of the highest level of technique in graphic arts.
The architectural print exhibition coincides with the Housatonic Museum of Art (“HMA”) Peer Docent Program. The focus of this year’s Program is on architecture with an examination of historic and noteworthy Bridgeport structures, urban planning and preservation, as well as the Arms’ print exhibition in the Community Gallery. With its arts enrichment emphasis, Bridgeport students become “experts” about several works and present their knowledge to their classmates during guided tours.
Now entering its fourteenth year, The Peer Docent Program introduces students to art and art history, teaches them to look at art critically, and to develop visual, analytical, and leadership skills that will assist them across the academic disciplines and throughout their lifetimes. For the first time, HMA Program will be partnering with another cultural agency, the Glass House, New Canaan, CT. Arianne Kolb, the author of From Salt House to Glasshouse, will present her book to students and introduce them to the modern architecture, landscape and art, and the legacy of Philip Johnson, architect and Connecticut resident.
John Taylor Arm’s was born in Washington, DC, but Connecticut was his American home base. During the first half of the 20thcentury, he was recognized as one of the United States’ most distinguished graphic artists and a leader in advancing the cause of printmaking. He produced about 430 etchings, dry points and aquatints and prints in other media. He is known predominantly for his etchings featuring architecture, particularly Gothic architecture and aligned himself with the Gothic revival artists who were fascinated by the late Middle Ages. Arms attended Princeton and studied law for two years prior to studying architecture at MIT. After serving in WWI, he devoted himself to drawing and etching.
For more information visit http://www.hcc.commnet.edu/artmuseum/index.html
For area information www.visitfairfieldcountyct.com